Affine Algebraic Sets - D&F Chapter 15, Section 15.1 - Example 3 - page 660

In summary, an affine algebraic set is a subset of n-dimensional affine space that is defined by a set of polynomial equations. It is different from an algebraic variety in that it can only be defined by polynomial equations in affine space. It can be empty if there are no points that satisfy the equations. To determine if a point is in the set, we can substitute its coordinates into the equations. The dimension of an affine algebraic set is equal to the number of variables in the equations and the dimension of the affine space it is embedded in.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Dummit and Foote Ch 15, Commutative Rings and Algebraic Geometry. In Section 15.1 Noetherian Rings and Affine Algebraic Sets, Example 3 on page 660 reads as follows: (see attachment)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let [TEX] V = \mathcal{Z}(x^3 - y^2) [/TEX] in [TEX] \ \ \mathbb{A}^2 [/TEX].

If [TEX] (a, b) \in \mathbb{A}^2 [/TEX] is an element of V, then [TEX] a^3 = b^2 [/TEX].

If [TEX] a \ne 0 [/TEX], then also [TEX] b \ne 0 [/TEX] and we can write[TEX] a = (b/a)^2, \ b = (b/a)^3 [/TEX].

It follows that V is the set [TEX] \{ (a^2, a^3) \ | \ a \in k \} [/TEX].

For any polynomial [TEX] f(x,y) \in k[x,y] [/TEX]. we can write [TEX] f(x,y) = f_0(x) + f_1(x)y + (x^3 - y^2)g(x,y) [/TEX]

... ... ... etc etc

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I cannot follow the line of reasoning:

"For any polynomial [TEX] f(x,y) \in k[x,y] [/TEX]. we can write [TEX] f(x,y) = f_0(x) + f_1(x)y + (x^3 - y^2)g(x,y) [/TEX]"

Can anyone clarify why this is true and why D&F are taking this step?

Peter

[This has also been posted on MHF]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Peter,

Thank you for sharing your confusion with us. I am also familiar with Dummit and Foote's book and I can help clarify this step for you.

Firstly, let's understand what the notation \mathcal{Z}(x^3 - y^2) means. This notation represents the set of all points in \mathbb{A}^2 where the polynomial x^3 - y^2 is equal to zero. In other words, it represents the set of solutions to the equation x^3 - y^2 = 0.

Now, let's consider the polynomial f(x,y) \in k[x,y]. This polynomial can be written as a linear combination of monomials in x and y, with coefficients in the field k. For example, f(x,y) = a_0 + a_1x + a_2y + a_3x^2 + a_4xy + a_5y^2 + ... where a_i \in k.

Now, if we substitute x^3 - y^2 = 0 into this polynomial, we get f(x,y) = a_0 + a_1x + a_2y + a_3x^2 + a_4xy + a_5y^2 + ... = f_0(x) + f_1(x)y + (x^3 - y^2)g(x,y) where f_0(x) and f_1(x) are polynomials in x with coefficients in k, and g(x,y) is a polynomial in x and y with coefficients in k.

So essentially, by substituting x^3 - y^2 = 0, we are saying that any polynomial in k[x,y] can be written as a linear combination of polynomials in x and y, where one of the terms is (x^3 - y^2)g(x,y). This is what Dummit and Foote mean when they say "we can write f(x,y) = f_0(x) + f_1(x)y + (x^3 - y^2)g(x,y)".

I hope this explanation helps clarify the reasoning behind this step. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Affine Algebraic Sets - D&F Chapter 15, Section 15.1 - Example 3 - page 660

1. What is an affine algebraic set?

An affine algebraic set is a subset of n-dimensional affine space that is defined by a set of polynomial equations. In other words, it is the set of all points in n-dimensional space that satisfy a given set of polynomial equations.

2. How is an affine algebraic set different from an algebraic variety?

An affine algebraic set is a special type of algebraic variety that is defined by polynomial equations in affine space. An algebraic variety, on the other hand, can be defined by polynomial equations in any type of space, such as projective space or Euclidean space.

3. Can an affine algebraic set be empty?

Yes, an affine algebraic set can be empty if there are no points in affine space that satisfy the given set of polynomial equations. This can occur if the equations are contradictory or if there are no solutions.

4. How can we determine if a point is in an affine algebraic set?

To determine if a point is in an affine algebraic set, we can substitute the coordinates of the point into the polynomial equations that define the set. If the equations are satisfied, then the point is in the set. If not, then the point is not in the set.

5. What is the dimension of an affine algebraic set?

The dimension of an affine algebraic set is the number of variables in the defining polynomial equations. It is also equal to the dimension of the affine space in which the set is embedded. For example, if the polynomial equations have three variables, then the affine algebraic set has dimension three.