Affect of air resistance on a projectile

In summary, The formula for air resistance on a projectile is FD = \frac{1}{2}CDρAv2. This can be simplified for a simple rod by modeling the front and rear as disks and the sides as a wetted surface. The coefficient of drag can be found experimentally, with values ranging from 0.3 for a long thin rod to 1 for a flat face. For a projectile traveling at 46 m/s and with a mass of 71g, the acceleration due to friction would be approximately 0.28 m/s2. To calculate the velocity at any given time, an appropriate formula would depend on the specific situation and variables involved.
Pharrahnox
Ok, so I have calculated an ideal speed of a projectile, but now I would like to know how it is affected by air resistance, although I'm only interested in the air resistance when it's outside the barrel, hopefully that'll simplify it a bit.

So the formula is: FD = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]CDρAv2

Can I find the affect on the projectile with a = F/m?

The projectile is an 8mm rod that is 290mm long, so how can I find the coefficient of drag? Also, I'm assuming 20°C at 0m above sea level, so the density of air is about 1.2kg/m3. Is that in the correct units for the formula?

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the rod travels at mach 0.5 or more, then the function for aerodynamic drag becomes complex and usually a table for coefficient of drag versus speed is generated and then used via interpolation to calculate drag. Related wiki article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/External_ballistics

I have read the article, however I'm not sure what to use out of the stuff there. The velocity of te projectile in this case is 46 m/s, and for any reasonable-sized projectile (>10 grams) it will not exceed 100m/s. Does this mean that it will not require the complex equations listed on that webpage?

Pharrahnox said:
it will not exceed 100m/s. Does this mean that it will not require the complex equations listed on that webpage?
100 m/s is about mach 0.291, so you can use a constant for Cd instead of a table as shown in that wiki article. You'll need to search for the Cd of a rod or cylinder with the stated dimensions.

46 m/s is very very slow.
For a simple rod, model the front and rear as disks, plus the sides as a wetted surface. The front will be subject to wind pressure proportional to density and speed squared. The rear will have cavitation, so a constant force due to pulling a vacuum.

Air resistance will depend on both the front and rear profiles and on the axial stability. Give the nose a spherical or elliptical section. Taper the tail to a point. Spin the projectile rod to stabilise it in flight. It should now look like an aircraft's fuselage. Roughen the transition from the nose to the shaft so as to create a lower drag boundary layer along the sides and tail. Model the front as a sphere, the sides as a wetted surface and the tail as a cone.

I have tried to search for it to no avail. It mostly says that the CD is found experimentally, but does anyone know a rought approximation of the value? Even a very rough guess?

The 46 m/s is for a 71g projectile, it travels significantly slower than my other projectiles, but I was wondering if it would be better at knocking things over. It is just a length of an insulated metal rod from and old clotheshorse, I haven't tried to shape it or anything like that, and I lack the skill or equipment to make a decent projectile anyway... Thanks for the detailed response, though.

Drag coefficients for various shapes are given on Wiki
for a sphere it is 0.47, for a half sphere 0.42, for a cone 0.5 for a flat face it is about 1

Well, seeing as it is a very long cyclinder compared to the diameter, and it has a slightly rounded end, I would guess it to be somewhere between the long cylinder and the stream-lined body. It says a bullet of non-ogive shape at sub-sonic speeds is about 0.295, so that's probably pretty close.

So if CD = ~0.3, then the formula should be as follows:

FD = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]CDρAv2

FD = 0.5*0.3*1.2*5x10-5*462

FD = 0.019044 = ~0.02N

So then does that mean that the acceleration due to friction will be:

a = F/m

a = 0.02/0.071 = 1.42x10-3m/s2?

That doesn't seem like much at all, have I done something wrong?

Last edited:
I would think that your coefficient of drag would be quite a bit higher than 0.3.

Pharrahnox said:
AlphaZero caught an error in your final divide calculation in the next post (.02 / .071 = .28). Otherwise the math looks OK assuming the rod manages to always be aligned into the direction of travel. The Cd for sports cars is around .3 so a long thin rod should be similar. The speed isn't all that high at 46 m/s, and the frontal area is small 5 x 10^(-5) m^2 (.004 m radius).

Last edited:
Pharrahnox said:
a = 0.02/0.071 = 1.42x10-3m/s2?

Check your arithmetic. I get 0.28 m/s2

That's still small, but not ridiculously small.

Yeah, I accidentally multiplied instead of dividing. So 0.28m/s2 sounds reasonable?

What formula could I use to calculate the velocity at any given time assuming it's initial velocity is 46m/s?

Related to Affect of air resistance on a projectile

1. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a projectile?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can impact the trajectory of a projectile by slowing it down and altering its path. The shape and speed of the projectile, as well as the density and viscosity of the air, all play a role in the amount of air resistance it experiences.

2. Can air resistance cause a projectile to change direction?

In most cases, air resistance will not cause a projectile to change direction. However, it can cause the projectile to deviate slightly from its intended path due to the drag force acting on it. This is why projectiles such as arrows or bullets are designed to be aerodynamic, to minimize the effects of air resistance.

3. How does the mass of a projectile affect its interaction with air resistance?

The mass of a projectile does not directly affect the amount of air resistance it experiences. However, a heavier projectile will have a greater inertia and may be able to resist the slowing effects of air resistance more than a lighter projectile.

4. Does air resistance have a greater impact on larger or smaller projectiles?

Generally, air resistance has a greater impact on larger projectiles. This is because larger projectiles have a larger surface area, which means there is more surface for the air to act upon and create drag. However, the shape and speed of the projectile also play a significant role in the impact of air resistance.

5. Can air resistance be completely eliminated for a projectile?

No, it is not possible to completely eliminate air resistance for a projectile. Even projectiles traveling through a vacuum will experience some resistance due to the air molecules present in the vacuum. However, air resistance can be minimized through careful design and selection of materials to reduce drag.