Affect of -40C temperatures on a LCD display

• Thread starter nobb123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lcd
In summary, a carPC has a LCD screen that can be operated in low temperatures. The screen has a minimum operating temperature of -20C, but some users have reported that their LCD screens have worked in lower temperatures. The CCFL backlights used in these screens have shorter lifespan if operated at low temperatures. Can someone confirm this? What about the actual LCD screen itself? Is there a possibility that the freezing of these liquid crystals might crack the screen (like frozen water cracking stone)?If it's in a car, then you have ample power for a plasma display, which should have a lower operating temperature minumum. Have you looked at plasma displays instead?
nobb123
Hey.

I have a carpc and I am looking to get a new LCD screen because my current one does not operate in -40C temperatures. I was hoping someone more technical than me might be able to answer some questions I have on LCD screens and operating them in low temperatures. I am interested in this screen:

http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=10949

Its minimum operating temperature is -20C, but I am wondering if I can operate it at even lower temperatures (and the possible negative effects). Some users have reported that their LCD screens (other models) have worked in even lower temperatures. What sort of negative effects do such low temperatures have on these screens? I have read that the CCFL backlights used in these screens have shorter lifespan if operated at such low temperatures. Can someone confirm? What about the actual LCD screen itself? Is there a possibility that the freezing of these liquid crystals might crack the screen (like frozen water cracking stone)?

How do car manufacturers with OEM LCD screens integrated into the vehicles deal with these temperature extremes?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't have a direct answer to your question, but an idea for a possible solution if you can't find a suitable screen. You should be able to install heating elements (such as used in windshields) behind the display inside the cover. I doubt that you'd be able to tap into the backlight supply because of the power requirement (still quite low), but you could run a secondary wire spliced into the main power source.

Well...in my current monitor I did use a bunch of resistors (25 watts), but that is untested and I will have to wait until the winter. My current fold up monitor is a single DIN (the size of a standard car radio) but I don't know how efficient 25 watts worth of heaters will be at heating up that volume of space. I suspect it probably takes quite a bit of power to bring the temperature from -40C to 0C.

The LCD screens in our equipement slow down considerably below about -10,-20, at -40 they don't work at all but we haven't had any damaged by freezing as the liquid layer is very thin.
These are simple calculator style dot-matrix displays so refresh speed is not very important. In the field we just put a chemical heat pad over them for a few minutes to warm them enough - fortunately these temperatures are rare enough we haven't bothered to make a heated version. But that should be possible.

-40C is about -40F. Who is going to be looking at a screen at -40?

Canadians!
We make laser scanners for surveying, the mining/oil sands businesses don't stop for a bit of snow.

nobb123 said:
it probably takes quite a bit of power to bring the temperature from -40C to 0C.

Ah, but you don't have to. You need raise it only to -20. :biggrin:

berkeman said:
Who is going to be looking at a screen at -40?

Around here, that would be picnickers. :rolleyes:

The screen is used in a car, so I will be looking at it. I tried looking for schematics to maybe try to build a device which would turn on the heater when temperatures are below a certain temperature and turn it off after the set temperature is reached...but couldn't find any. Anyone have suggestions?

Do you mean the screen heater or the car heater? I'm thinking that the thermostat from a freezer would work if you change the switch from a Normally Closed to a Normally Open type.

Last edited:
nobb123 said:
The screen is used in a car, so I will be looking at it.

If it's in a car, then you have ample power for a plasma display, which should have a lower operating temperature minumum. Have you looked at plasma displays instead?

Decent idea, Mr. B. :approve:

The LCD screen is 7 inches and mounted in the dash. I think you are mistaken and thought this was for a motorhome or something. Besides...I don't think they make 7 inch plasma displays, but good idea though.

In that case, I would seriously recommend tossing the resistance heaters in there and running them from the vehicle battery (preferably an auxilliary deep-cycle one if you're going to be on for long time without starting the engine).

Related to Affect of -40C temperatures on a LCD display

1. How does extreme cold affect an LCD display?

Extreme cold temperatures, such as -40C, can cause an LCD display to freeze and stop functioning properly. The liquid crystals inside the display can become sluggish and unresponsive, leading to slow or distorted images on the screen.

2. Can an LCD display withstand -40C temperatures?

While most LCD displays are designed to operate within a certain temperature range, such as 0C to 40C, they may not be able to function properly at extreme temperatures like -40C. The display may experience malfunctions or permanent damage if exposed to such low temperatures for extended periods of time.

3. How can I protect my LCD display from -40C temperatures?

To protect an LCD display from extreme cold temperatures, it is important to keep it in a climate-controlled environment. If the display must be used in a cold environment, it is recommended to use a protective cover or insulation to help maintain a higher temperature around the display.

4. Will turning off my LCD display in -40C temperatures help preserve it?

Turning off an LCD display in extreme cold temperatures may help to prevent any further damage, but it will not necessarily preserve the display. The liquid crystals inside the display may still be affected by the cold and could potentially freeze, causing permanent damage.

5. Can -40C temperatures cause permanent damage to an LCD display?

Yes, -40C temperatures can cause permanent damage to an LCD display. The extreme cold can cause the liquid crystals to freeze, which can lead to malfunctions or a complete breakdown of the display. It is important to protect the display from such low temperatures to prevent any permanent damage.