Aerospace Nuclear Science and Technology

In summary, the Aerospace Nuclear Science and Technology Division (ANSTD) of the American Nuclear Society (ANS) will hold its first stand-alone topical meeting in Albuquerque, NM. The meeting will address topics ranging from overviews of current programs and plans to detailed challenges related to space travel, as detailed in the Call for Papers.
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
2023 Award
Yeah - we're still serious about this stuff.

In February 2011 the Aerospace Nuclear Science and Technology Division (ANSTD) of the American Nuclear Society (ANS) will hold its first stand-alone topical meeting in Albuquerque, NM. The momentum and positive collaborative environment established by the former Space Technologies and Applications International Forum (STAIF), last held in 2008, has been upheld by a�series of discussion forums and technical meetings sponsored by ANSTD in 2009 and 2010 (see SNSF and NETS-2009 on the Prior Meetings Page), and NETS-2011 will bring these formats together in a single venue.

Topic Areas

NASA is currently developing capabilities for unmanned and manned missions to the Moon, Mars, and beyond. Strategies implementing advanced power and propulsion technologies, as well as radiation shielding protection, will be an integral part of successful missions of these types. NETS-2011 will provide a communications network and forum for information exchange for the wide cross section of research and management personnel from government, industry, academia, and the national laboratory system that are involved in space nuclear activities. To this end, the meeting will address topics ranging from overviews of current programs and plans to detailed challenges related to space travel, as detailed in the Call for Papers.

http://anstd.ans.org/NETS2011/AboutNETS2011.htm

http://anstd.ans.org/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Astronuc said:
...Strategies implementing advanced power and propulsion technologies, as well as radiation shielding protection, will be an integral part of successful missions of these types...
On that:

I have been wondering if ion propulsion could solve two problems at once. Suppose the magnets that contain the plasma and propell it out the rear of the vehicle were not just mounted at the tail of the spacecraft . Instead, suppose these magnets started near the nose of the vehicle, and spread the plasma out into a thin sheet, which would progress spherically down the length of the craft before being focussed into a tight beem and forced out the back.

Would these powerfull ellectromagnets then provide an artificiall magnetosphere, and the (highly ionised) plasma, an artificiall ionosphere? I know that each would be much thinner than its natural counterpart, but they are also much more concentrated, so it seems to me they would provide at least some protection.

What I'm mainly interested in is finding out if anyone else is thinking along the same lines. Let me know if it has come up in any of the meetigns you have attended, or if it comes up in NM, would ya?

Sounds like a feasible approach to me, LURCH.

I was thinking of a similar idea as yours, not as radiation protection and not for spacecraft , but for aircraft. You generate the plasma at the front of the vehicle and use magnets lined along the fuselage to draw it to the rear, thus generating propulsion that would be as quiet as the wind. It turns out that the guy that started Republic Aviation, Seversky, was considering this sort of propulsion for aviation back in the mid 30's.

One problem that you will have to solve when working with plasma and ions is the disruption of radio communications.

Marlin

LURCH said:
On that:

I have been wondering if ion propulsion could solve two problems at once. Suppose the magnets that contain the plasma and propell it out the rear of the vehicle were not just mounted at the tail of the spacecraft . Instead, suppose these magnets started near the nose of the vehicle, and spread the plasma out into a thin sheet, which would progress spherically down the length of the craft before being focussed into a tight beem and forced out the back.

Would these powerfull ellectromagnets then provide an artificiall magnetosphere, and the (highly ionised) plasma, an artificiall ionosphere? I know that each would be much thinner than its natural counterpart, but they are also much more concentrated, so it seems to me they would provide at least some protection.

What I'm mainly interested in is finding out if anyone else is thinking along the same lines. Let me know if it has come up in any of the meetigns you have attended, or if it comes up in NM, would ya?
Took me a while to remember the name of the concept, but it has been around for about 3 decades.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_sail

NIAC Study of the Magnetic Sail
http://www.niac.usra.edu/files/library/meetings/fellows/nov99/320Zubrin.pdf

http://casa.colorado.edu/~danforth/science/magsail/magsail.html

Theory of Space Magnetic Sail Some Common Mistakes and Electrostatic MagSail*
http://arxiv.org/ftp/physics/papers/0701/0701060.pdf
Alexander Bolonkin

And there was a variation on the magsail that would collect protons and possibly accelerate them, or induce fusion, which would have to be the (p,B) reaction.

I find the topic of Aerospace Nuclear Science and Technology to be of great importance and potential for advancements in space exploration. The use of nuclear power and propulsion systems in space can greatly increase the capabilities and efficiency of our missions to the Moon, Mars, and beyond. It is encouraging to see that the ANSTD is taking a serious and proactive approach to this field, as evidenced by their upcoming topical meeting in Albuquerque.

The collaborative environment established by the former Space Technologies and Applications International Forum (STAIF) and continued through various discussion forums and technical meetings is crucial for the success of this field. Bringing together experts from government, industry, academia, and national laboratories will not only foster information exchange, but also promote collaboration and innovation.

I am particularly interested in the topic areas that will be addressed at NETS-2011, such as advanced power and propulsion technologies and radiation shielding protection. These are critical components for the success and safety of space missions, and it is important to continue research and development in these areas.

Overall, I am excited to see the progress and dedication in the field of Aerospace Nuclear Science and Technology, and I look forward to the advancements and breakthroughs that will come from this meeting and future endeavors in this field.

Related to Aerospace Nuclear Science and Technology

What is Aerospace Nuclear Science and Technology?

Aerospace Nuclear Science and Technology is a field of study that focuses on the development and use of nuclear energy for aerospace applications. This includes the design, testing, and operation of nuclear-powered spacecraft, as well as the use of nuclear energy for propulsion, power, and other functions in the aerospace industry.

How is nuclear energy used in aerospace?

Nuclear energy can be used in a variety of ways in aerospace, including as a power source for spacecraft, as a propulsion system for deep space missions, and as a means of generating heat and electricity for on-board systems. It can also be used to power nuclear thermal rockets and to produce radioisotope thermoelectric generators (RTGs) for deep space probes.

What are the benefits of using nuclear energy in aerospace?

There are several potential benefits of using nuclear energy in aerospace, including increased power and efficiency, longer mission durations, and reduced reliance on traditional fossil fuels. Nuclear energy also produces significantly less greenhouse gas emissions compared to other forms of energy, making it a more environmentally friendly option for space exploration.

What are the safety concerns surrounding nuclear energy in aerospace?

While nuclear energy can offer many benefits, there are also safety concerns that must be carefully addressed. Accidents or malfunctions involving nuclear-powered spacecraft or nuclear propulsion systems could have serious consequences, including environmental contamination and public health risks. Therefore, rigorous safety protocols and regulations must be in place to ensure the safe use of nuclear energy in aerospace.

What is the future of Aerospace Nuclear Science and Technology?

The future of Aerospace Nuclear Science and Technology is promising, with ongoing research and development efforts focused on improving the efficiency, safety, and reliability of nuclear-powered systems for space exploration. Additionally, the use of nuclear energy is being explored for potential applications in future human missions to Mars and other deep space destinations.