Aerospace Engineering PhD to Astrophysics Postdoc

In summary, an astrophysics postdoc is unlikely, but if you have a numerical background and are based near an astrophysics institute, you may be able to find a position.
MagnetoBLI
Hi, I'm from the UK and I'm in my final year of an aerospace engineering PhD which focuses on civil aircraft and engine design. For some time I have felt that engineering is too restrictive in terms of the science available to use; due to it's applied nature and safety restrictions within the aviation industry. I have recently been investigating MagnetoHydroDynamics (MHD) which has helped broaden my understanding of plasma, electromagnetic fields and fluid dynamics. From here my thirst for scientific understanding has dominated my interest in application/design.

My questions are: Would it be possible to be accepted onto a Postdoc in astrophysics, given my indirect PhD subject? Otherwise would I need to apply for a PhD in astrophysics first? Or would there be some other method of arriving at an astrophysics Postdoc i.e. low paid postdoc position?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
MagnetoBLI said:
My questions are: Would it be possible to be accepted onto a Postdoc in astrophysics, given my indirect PhD subject?

It's going to be essentially impossible for you to get a post-doc that requires experience that is vastly different than your Ph.D. However, your job would be to convince someone that your Ph.D. experience is useful to them. Off hand, you might want to look for post-docs in places where they are building instruments and spacecraft or in which they are doing computational fluid dynamics.

Also you might look for aeronautical engineering jobs that are in places that are close to where astrophysicists work (i.e. JPL or Southwestern Research Institute). If you have numerical background, you might look for places where there are numerical institutes.

Google for "astrophysics rumor mill" and look at the American Astronomical Society jobs register.

Thanks for the speedy reply. I'll explore this direction and hopefully find a neat path. I'm based in the UK and preferably would work here, so my options are a little more limited. However I'm sure this route would be better than taking a 2nd PhD.

Cheers

Related to Aerospace Engineering PhD to Astrophysics Postdoc

1. What is the difference between Aerospace Engineering and Astrophysics?

Aerospace Engineering is a branch of engineering that deals with the design, development, and construction of aircraft and spacecraft. It involves the application of principles from physics, mathematics, and materials science to create and improve aircraft and spacecraft technology. On the other hand, Astrophysics is a branch of astronomy that focuses on the physical and chemical properties of celestial objects and the universe as a whole. It involves the use of physics and mathematics to study the behavior and evolution of celestial bodies, such as stars, galaxies, and planets.

2. Can someone with a PhD in Aerospace Engineering pursue a postdoctoral position in Astrophysics?

Yes, it is possible for someone with a PhD in Aerospace Engineering to pursue a postdoctoral position in Astrophysics. While the two fields may seem different, there is a significant overlap in skills and knowledge required for both. Many universities and research institutions welcome applicants from related fields, as long as they have a strong background in mathematics and physics.

3. What are the career prospects for someone with an Aerospace Engineering PhD transitioning to a postdoc in Astrophysics?

The career prospects for someone with an Aerospace Engineering PhD transitioning to a postdoc in Astrophysics are promising. With a strong background in engineering and a deeper understanding of astrophysical concepts, individuals can pursue research positions in both academia and industry. They can also work in government agencies, such as NASA, or in private companies that specialize in aerospace and space technology.

4. What skills and qualifications are necessary for a successful transition from Aerospace Engineering PhD to Astrophysics postdoc?

To successfully transition from an Aerospace Engineering PhD to an Astrophysics postdoc, individuals should have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics. They should also have experience in conducting research and analyzing data. Knowledge of computer programming, data analysis software, and numerical simulations would also be beneficial. Additionally, having a passion for space exploration and a curiosity about the universe are important qualities for success in this field.

5. What opportunities for collaboration exist between Aerospace Engineering and Astrophysics?

There are many opportunities for collaboration between Aerospace Engineering and Astrophysics. Both fields require a multidisciplinary approach and can benefit from the expertise of the other. For example, Aerospace Engineering can contribute to the development of new technologies and instrumentation for space missions, while Astrophysics can provide insights into the behavior and properties of objects in space that can inform engineering designs. Collaborations can also lead to new discoveries and advancements in both fields.