Aerodynamics of modern wind turbine

In summary, the conversation discusses the mechanics of a wind turbine and how it is similar to an airplane wing. The wind hitting the blades creates lift, which generates forward speed. The blades have a high angle of attack, but this is necessary for efficient operation. The angle of attack is also adjusted based on wind speed and electrical power generation. The conversation also compares this to the fan blades on a jet engine. Ultimately, the conversation concludes that the wind turbine is not fundamentally different from an airplane wing in terms of its mechanics.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
I've been thinking about the wind turbine (horizontal turbine - like an airplane propellor.) that I pass on the way downtown and I'm realizing I've been taking for granted how it works.

Seems to me it's exactly opposite of an airplane wing. Rather than forward speed generating lift, you have lift generating forward speed. (It is the wind attacking the blade rather than the blade attacking the wind)

The wind hitting the blades should create lift on the downwind side, pulling the blade in a perpendicular direction.

But it seems to me, the blades have an awfully high angle of attack - they are almost flat in the plane of the rotor, yet the wind's angle of attack is parallel to the axis. The result is that the blades attack the wind at a 45+ degree angle. Also, it seesm to me, as the wind picks up, the rotors move faster, which means they partially cancel the effectiveness of the oncoming wind. You'd want to raise the angle of attack to compensate, rather than lower it, like you would in a plane as speed increases.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
DaveC426913 said:
Seems to me it's exactly opposite of an airplane wing. Rather than forward speed generating lift, you have lift generating forward speed. (It is the wind attacking the blade rather than the blade attacking the wind)

If you think about the air motion relative to the blade (or wing) the two are basically the same.

But it seems to me, the blades have an awfully high angle of attack - they are almost flat in the plane of the rotor, yet the wind's angle of attack is parallel to the axis. The result is that the blades attack the wind at a 45+ degree angle.

You need to draw a diagram of the velocity if the air relative to the rotating blade. You should find that the angle of attack relative to the air flow is fairly small - if it was large, the blade would tend to stall instead of working efficiently as an aerofoil. The "angle of attack" relative to the axis of the turbine might well be large. For a large turbine, the tangential velocity of the blade at the tip may be higher than the axial wind velocity.

Many large wind turbines run at constant speed (or two different speeds in light and strong winds) and the blade angle of attack is adjusted according to the wind speed and the electrical power being generated. A large AC electrical machine connected to the grid is constrained to operate in sync with the grid frequency - it will operate either as a generator or a motor, to keep turning at costant RPM. Clearly running a wind turbine as a motor isn't very useful, but if the wind speed drops suddenly that will happen till the blade angle of attack is changed and it starts to generate lift in the correct direction again.

Small turbines tend to run at variable speed, generate variable amounts of power, and use an electrical frequency converter to connect to the electricity grid.

FWIW, compare this with the fan blades on a large jet engine. At the blade tips the blade angle relative to the engine axis is (VERY approximately - no proprietary design secrets here!) 45 degrees because the axial air velocity (i.e. the forward speed of the plane) is the same order of magnitude as the tangential blade velocity). At the blade root the blades are aligned almost along the engine axis (and curved) because the axial velocity higher than the tangential. The blades are fixed, not adjustable, and so some large jets can't generate maximum power when the plane has no forward speed - the throttle is opened as the speed builds up during the takeoff run and the engine thrust can increase to its max value, without stalling the fan blades.

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
There is no need to think of it as being fundamentally different from an airplane wing. Starting with the turbine as stationary, there is some amount of lift created by the airflow over the blades. As the blades start to move, you need to start factoring in the relative wind and adjust the pitch accordingly. That's exactly the same as how a plane works at takeoff. You'll see planes climbing at, say, 30 degrees nose-up angle, but that doesn't mean the angle of attack is 30 degrees. The aoa may be 5 and the other 25 is due to the relative wind of the plane being in a climb. When you are actually lifting off the runway, the pilot eases back on the stick, being careful not to raise the nose too fast before the plane can accelerate upward.

Related to Aerodynamics of modern wind turbine

1. What is the purpose of aerodynamics in modern wind turbines?

Aerodynamics is the study of the motion of air and how it interacts with objects. In the context of wind turbines, aerodynamics is important for designing the shape and placement of the turbine blades to maximize the amount of energy that can be extracted from the wind.

2. How do aerodynamic forces affect the performance of a wind turbine?

The aerodynamic forces, such as lift and drag, generated by the wind interacting with the turbine blades determine the amount of energy that can be harnessed. The goal is to design the blades to create more lift than drag, allowing for a more efficient conversion of wind energy into rotational energy.

3. What factors influence the aerodynamics of a wind turbine?

The shape, size, and angle of the turbine blades, as well as the speed and direction of the wind, all play a role in the aerodynamics of a wind turbine. Other factors include the air density, turbulence, and the surrounding terrain.

4. How do scientists and engineers improve the aerodynamics of wind turbines?

Through advanced computer simulations and wind tunnel testing, scientists and engineers are able to analyze and optimize the aerodynamic design of wind turbines. This includes adjusting the shape and angle of the blades, as well as incorporating new materials and technologies.

5. What are some of the challenges in designing wind turbines with optimal aerodynamics?

One of the main challenges is finding the right balance between lift and drag. Too much drag can slow down the rotation of the blades, while too much lift can cause structural stresses. Additionally, wind turbines must be designed to withstand varying wind speeds and directions, which can be difficult to predict and account for in the design process.