Solving Soh Cah Toa: Understand & Find Angles and Sides

• Thread starter havechanged
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angles
In summary, the conversation discussed the definitions of sine, cosine, and tangent in relation to the sides of a right triangle. The recommend way to understand and use these equations is to draw a triangle and label the sides and angles. The conversation also touched on the 30 60 90 triangle, where the sides have specific ratios to each other. It was suggested to pay attention in class for a better understanding.
havechanged
I understand that Sin is Opposite over the Hypotenuse, Cosine is Adjacent over Hypotenue, and Tangent is Opposite over the Adjacent. But I don't know how to use it. Sin has its own equation, as does Tangent...I am just confused. What do I do to find a specific angle? What about a certain side?

Thanks!

P.S I have done Soh Cah Toa during previous school years, but I never understood!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Then all I can recommend is that you draw a right triangle, label the sides and angles, stare at it for a while and THINK!

It might help if you specified on your triangle, which angle you are talking about "sin is opposite over hypotenuse" is non-sense until you specify the angle! Never say "sin". It is always sin OF A PARTICULAR ANGLE.

Ok...here could be an example:

One angle of a right triangle is 20 degress. The length of the hypotenuse is 6 cm. How would I get the other two sides?

For the opposite side, would it be something like Sin20 is x/6?

It just doesn't make sense...What about the whole Sin is the square root of a plus b times a and b or something like that?

Thanks!

So you have

x= 6* Sin20 for the opposite side,

the adjacent side would be

y = 6* Cos20

I am not sure what your last comment is about, are you referring to the Pythagorean Theorm.

a2+ b2= c2?

Thanks for the reply.

No, it wasn't the pathagorem theorum. I don't know what it was.

Thanks again!

"What about the whole Sin is the square root of a plus b times a and b or something like that? "

Now THAT'S the part that doesn't make sense! I recommend you erase that from your mind immediately!

Ok, I will. If I do find out what I was thinking of, I'll post it!

pay attention in class

your thinkin of 30 60 90 triangles. that's where the side across from the right angle ( hypotenuse) equals 2x. the side across from the 30 degree angle equals x and the side across from the 60 degree angle is x times the squareroot of 3

1. What does "Soh Cah Toa" stand for?

"Soh Cah Toa" is a mnemonic device used to remember the three basic trigonometric ratios: sine, cosine, and tangent.

2. How do I use Soh Cah Toa to find angles and sides?

To use Soh Cah Toa, you must first identify which trigonometric ratio you need to use based on the given information. Then, use the corresponding formula to find the missing angle or side.

3. Can I use Soh Cah Toa for any triangle?

Yes, Soh Cah Toa can be used for any right triangle, regardless of the size or shape of the triangle.

4. Are there any limitations to using Soh Cah Toa?

Soh Cah Toa can only be used for right triangles. It cannot be used for finding angles or sides in non-right triangles.

5. How can I remember the Soh Cah Toa ratios?

One way to remember the Soh Cah Toa ratios is to create a visual representation of the mnemonic device, such as drawing a triangle with the letters inside. Another way is to practice using the ratios in various trigonometry problems.