Advice request good study stats along discrete math

In summary, it is possible to study both discrete math and probability theory at the same time for computer science improvement, but it ultimately depends on your specific goals and what type of applications you will be working on. However, having a strong understanding of both can be beneficial in various areas of computer science, such as algorithm design and data analysis. It may also be helpful to have a background in linear algebra and web development.
LSE1234
I study a textbook in Discrete Math 7e Rosen , I am in ch.4 Number Theory
Mainly for computer science improvement (cs)

Is it ok study same time a Probability & Statistics textbook again for cs...?

I have background in Calculus I II and Linear Algebra & web development.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean? If you can handle it you can study as much as you like. Whether it pays off in CS heavily depends on what you're going to do there. Research, industry (which branch) etc.

I need for help in web / mobile development , for ios, android, windows, xdk/cordova/Javascript

Basically meant better finish Discrete Math after study Stats? Or study same time

Again, it depends. The platforms don't define the applications! Discrete math is probably better for algorithmic and numeric problems, statistics for what it says, e.g. to evaluate data as polls, visits, etc. But if you will deal with large amounts of data slim algorithms might be very useful. However I doubt you could find them in a math textbook about discrete mathematics. Some IT book about algorithms might be more suitable.

fresh_42 said:
Again, it depends. The platforms don't define the applications! Discrete math is probably better for algorithmic and numeric problems, statistics for what it says, e.g. to evaluate data as polls, visits, etc.

So for general purpose Apps - not games - like CRUD Read insert update delete data from server, and also social logins and social Apps, ...

This study should help or make my way easier? AGAIN what is best finish Discrete Math after study Stats?

LSE1234 said:
This study should help or make my way easier? AGAIN what is best finish Discrete Math after study Stats?
Ok. But that's my very personal opinion and life experience. Neither. IRL you almost always will be confronted with something that is new. Statistics are closer to reality since it widens your possibilities. And if you do it right you will learn what statistics quoted in common debates are worth: nothing. Statistics will you provide a better understanding of data which can be very useful when programming apps since sooner or later you want to know things like: who uses it how often and where etc. So the gain is bigger on this side. (The discrete stuff you can learn when and if needed.)

Likes LSE1234
If someone wanted cover both discrete math and stats, what is best finish first after the other...?

In this case finish it before you start something new for otherwise you likely won't anymore. But you can do both simultaneously since it's quite different stuff. If you get bored by one you can read the other and vice versa.

Likes LSE1234
LSE1234 said:
I study a textbook in Discrete Math 7e Rosen , I am in ch.4 Number Theory
Mainly for computer science improvement (cs)

Is it ok study same time a Probability & Statistics textbook again for cs...?

I have background in Calculus I II and Linear Algebra & web development.

Yes, it is ok to study discrete math and probability theory at the same time. You don't need one for the other. You might want to get some of the basics of calculus 3 before doing some more advanced probability theory though.

Likes LSE1234

Related to Advice request good study stats along discrete math

1. What is discrete math?

Discrete math is a branch of mathematics that deals with discrete structures, such as integers and graphs, rather than continuous objects like real numbers and curves. It is an important foundation for many areas of computer science and engineering.

2. How can I improve my study habits for discrete math?

To improve your study habits for discrete math, it is important to stay organized and consistent. Set aside dedicated study time, break down complex topics into smaller parts, and practice regularly. Also, be sure to seek help from your professor or a tutor if needed.

3. What are some helpful resources for studying discrete math?

Some helpful resources for studying discrete math include textbooks, online lecture videos, practice problems, and study groups. Additionally, many universities offer tutoring services or have study centers specifically for math subjects.

4. Are there any specific study techniques that work well for discrete math?

Different study techniques work for different people, but some effective techniques for studying discrete math include creating study guides or flashcards, working through practice problems, and explaining concepts to others. Find what works best for you and stick with it.

5. How important are good statistics in understanding discrete math?

Good statistics are essential for understanding and applying discrete math concepts. In discrete math, concepts and algorithms are often analyzed and measured using various statistical methods. It is important to have a strong foundation in statistics to fully comprehend and succeed in discrete math.