Advice on milligram/centigram precision scale

In summary, a paper weight scale might be a good option for measuring at least to centigram precision.
Jenny Physics
Any suggestion on a good (but as usual not that expensive) scale that can measure at least to centigram precision?

Searching online (e.g. Amazon) I did find some options but the reviews are usually mixed regarding precision (users will say that scales with milligram precision specs are not that precise).

Would like to know your suggestions.

Science news on Phys.org
I think you mean "accurate".

Do you need absolute accuracy or relative accuracy? If a scale says 1.092 for one object and 1.082 for another, which is more important? Is it that the two are 0.010 apart or is that a second scale will give the same result?

Likes Jenny Physics
Vanadium 50 said:
I think you mean "accurate".

Do you need absolute accuracy or relative accuracy? If a scale says 1.092 for one object and 1.082 for another, which is more important? Is it that the two are 0.010 apart or is that a second scale will give the same result?

I agree that I care mainly about relative accuracy within a few miligrams.

The example you give both 1.092 or 1.082 would be acceptable (although if the two were 0.001 apart it would be better).

But 1.092 and 2.092 would not be ok.

Jenny Physics said:
Any suggestion on a good (but as usual not that expensive) scale that can measure at least to centigram precision?

I don't know of any analytical balance that is only accurate to a centigram- milligram precision seems to be the minimum, and the prices start around $400 (US). A few years ago, I found a gently used Mettler AE163, it's fantastic. Look around Biosurplus, LabX, and eBay.

Likes ohwilleke and Jenny Physics
Buying laboratory equipment is like buying home exercise machines. I agree that used equipment is definitely the way to go.

A friend of mine operates a commercial forensic laboratory and they saved 80%-90% over the price of buying instrumentation new by purchasing used equipment (five to ten years old) that was discarded by government labs and labs run by big business high tech companies that feel compelled to pay top dollar in order to always have state of the art instrumentation every time something new or better is developed. My friend's business merely needed instrumentation that was necessary to reach forensic conclusions and not to test the laws of physics to their limits or to send missiles half way around the world with a precision of centimeters. The instruments they bought far exceed their requirements and cost less than buying inferior instruments new. And, scientists in labs that were state of the art as of 5-10 years ago tend to take good care of their prize instruments, so gently used is a good description.

The biggest peril when buying used instruments is damage in shipping, which is unfortunately, all too common and can ruin a precision piece of equipment permanently. Be sure to get insurance on any purchase that you don't deliver yourself.

Likes Jenny Physics
Perhaps a paper letter weight scale ?
upload_2017-2-17_16-59-21.png

1 suspension paperclip
2 piece of paper (with scale)
3 thin wire to hang weight from

Likes Jenny Physics
Scale and Bullet.JPG

Likely overkill for your purposes, but very nice having one in the lab.

Likes Jenny Physics

Related to Advice on milligram/centigram precision scale

1. What is a milligram/centigram precision scale?

A milligram/centigram precision scale is a type of scientific instrument used to accurately measure small masses in milligrams (mg) or centigrams (cg). It is commonly used in laboratory settings for tasks such as weighing chemicals, ingredients, or samples.

2. How accurate is a milligram/centigram precision scale?

The accuracy of a milligram/centigram precision scale depends on the specific model and brand. However, most scales of this type have a precision of 0.001g, meaning they can measure to the nearest milligram. Some high-end models may have a precision of 0.0001g (1/10th of a milligram).

3. What is the difference between a milligram/centigram precision scale and a regular kitchen scale?

A milligram/centigram precision scale is designed for more precise measurements in the milligram and centigram range, while a regular kitchen scale is typically used for larger measurements in grams or kilograms. Additionally, milligram/centigram precision scales have a higher precision and accuracy compared to kitchen scales.

4. How do I calibrate a milligram/centigram precision scale?

To calibrate a milligram/centigram precision scale, you will need calibration weights that are specifically designed for the scale's capacity and precision. These weights are typically included with the scale or can be purchased separately. The calibration process involves placing the weights on the scale and adjusting it to match the weight's value.

5. What factors should I consider when choosing a milligram/centigram precision scale?

When choosing a milligram/centigram precision scale, you should consider its capacity, precision, accuracy, and readability. You should also consider the unit of measurement (mg or cg), the type of display (digital or analog), and any additional features such as tare function or auto-off. It is also important to choose a reputable brand and ensure the scale is properly calibrated and maintained.