Advice for Senior Mechanical Engineering Course Selection

Jane both discussed their preferences for selecting classes for the upcoming year, with Chetan leaning towards Mechanical Vibrations and Automatic Control Systems while Jane also considered Manufacturing Process as a viable option. However, both ultimately agreed on the value of fundamentals and recommended Mechanical Vibrations and Automatic Control Systems as the more beneficial choices for a career in Industry. In summary, Chetan and Jane both suggest choosing Mechanical Vibrations and Automatic Control Systems as electives for a degree in Mechanical Engineering due to their fundamental value for a career in Industry.
Colby_OSU
Hello all,

I am a Senior in Mechanical Engineering and I am in need of some advice for selecting some classes for the upcoming year. I need to select two of the three options listed below.

Mechanical Vibrations
Automatic Control Systems
Manufacturing Process

These three courses are electives for my degree, and I am having a hard time trying to figure out which ones would help me in Industry later on. Thank you all for any advice you may have.

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on what you want to do. I find industrial processes boring, so I would pick:

Mechanical Vibrations

Dr. Courtney said:
It depends on what you want to do. I find industrial processes boring, so I would pick:

Mechanical Vibrations
I would make the same choice. I don't find industrial processes boring (in fact, quite the contrary), but the other two courses are more fundamental, and I place a high value fundamentals.

Chet

Related to Advice for Senior Mechanical Engineering Course Selection

1. What courses should I take for my senior year in mechanical engineering?

The specific courses you should take in your senior year will depend on your personal interests and career goals. However, some common courses for senior mechanical engineering students include machine design, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, and senior design projects.

2. How many technical electives should I take in my senior year?

Typically, mechanical engineering programs require students to take a certain number of technical electives to fulfill degree requirements. It is recommended to take at least two technical electives in your senior year to further specialize in a specific area of mechanical engineering.

3. Should I take more theoretical or hands-on courses in my senior year?

The balance of theoretical and hands-on courses in your senior year will depend on your personal strengths and career goals. If you plan to pursue a career in research or academia, it may be beneficial to take more theoretical courses. If you are interested in a hands-on career in industry, it may be beneficial to take more practical courses that involve design and project work.

4. Can I take courses outside of my major in my senior year?

It is possible to take courses outside of your major in your senior year, but it is important to consult with your academic advisor first. Make sure the courses you choose align with your career goals and will not delay your graduation.

5. How can I make the most of my senior year in mechanical engineering?

To make the most of your senior year, it is important to stay organized and focused on your goals. Take advantage of opportunities for hands-on projects and internships to gain practical experience. Network with professionals in the field and attend career fairs to explore job opportunities. Lastly, make sure to balance your coursework with extracurricular activities and self-care to maintain a healthy work-life balance.