Advantages of being a professor at a top school?

In summary, the advantages of being a professor at a "top" school include higher quality peers, better funding opportunities, and potential for power and influence in the academic world. However, the level of freedom and ego boost may not necessarily be greater compared to mid level schools. Additionally, becoming a professor for the sole reason of having freedom may not be a realistic expectation.
DukeofDuke
Advantages of being a professor at a "top" school?

Hi PF,

What advantages are there for professors who go to highly regarded schools, as opposed to mid level schools? I am assuming there may be higher quality peers (professors), but what else could one get at a "top" school that one couldn't somewhere else? Funding? And a huge ego boost for many, but I'm trying to be in the minority there.

The one thing that attracts me towards professorship is freedom. They are paying me to do the thinking I want to do (plus paperwork). If there's no more freedom in staking out a desk in Harvard as there is owning one in a Hawaiian university...I'd take the surf.

Physics news on Phys.org

DukeofDuke said:
What advantages are there for professors who go to highly regarded schools, as opposed to mid level schools?

Money and power. You are more likely to get yourself on the funding committees that make science policy decisions. Also you spend less of your time on routine teaching and more of your time doing high level research.

Also "highly regarded" by whom? In observational astronomy, University of Hawaii is comparable to Harvard, and Hawaii is better at some things (ground based microwave astronomy).

The one thing that attracts me towards professorship is freedom.

That's a terrible, terrible reason for going into academia. I don't think that professors (particularly junior professors) really are more free to do what they want than people in industry.

They are paying me to do the thinking I want to do (plus paperwork).

What you'll find when you are faculty is that money doesn't magically appear. In order to get facilities, you'll be spending a fair amount of your time at fundraising and politics.

If there's no more freedom in staking out a desk in Harvard as there is owning one in a Hawaiian university...I'd take the surf.

Except that getting a faculty position at University of Hawaii in astronomy isn't much easier than getting one at Harvard. Also Harvard has some very strange faculty hiring policies. They tend to hire senior faculty from outside of the school rather than promote people from within.

Related to Advantages of being a professor at a top school?

What are the advantages of being a professor at a top school?

1. Prestige and reputation: Being a professor at a top school can bring a lot of recognition and respect within the academic community. This can open up opportunities for collaborations, grants, and invitations to conferences and events.

2. Access to resources: Top schools often have state-of-the-art facilities, cutting-edge technology, and ample funding for research. As a professor, you will have access to these resources, which can greatly enhance your research and teaching capabilities.

3. Highly motivated and talented students: Top schools tend to attract the best and brightest students. As a professor, you will have the opportunity to work with these students and help shape their academic and professional careers.

4. Networking opportunities: Top schools often have a large network of alumni who hold influential positions in various industries. As a professor, you can leverage these connections for collaborations, job opportunities, and professional development.

5. Competitive salary and benefits: Professors at top schools often receive higher salaries and more comprehensive benefits packages compared to those at other institutions. This can provide financial stability and security for you and your family.