Advanced Physics Online Courses

In summary, the speaker has recently completed a B.A. in Physics at UVa but has gaps in their coursework, specifically in E&M and Stat. Mech. They are looking for online courses to fill these gaps and potentially apply for a Masters. The speaker mentions MIT OCW as a resource, but notes that it is difficult to find online versions of upper division physics courses. They suggest registering as a postbac student for independent study credits as a possible option.
fader
Hi, I just finished up a B.A. in Physics at UVa, but I had some major holes in my curriculum. I took Modern physics, QM, and then GR, but never took E&M and Stat. Mech. Aside from MIT OCW, are there universities that offer advanced physics online courses for grade so I can patch these classes up and apply for a Masters? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think the "for grade" part will be significant, although the added structure will be. It's very hard to find online versions of upper division courses.

You might be able to register as a postbac student and do independent study credits to get grading / structure / guidance. I assume other demands on your time (job) keep you from registering for more traditionally scheduled classes.

Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry. Yes, there are several universities that offer advanced physics online courses for credit. Some options to consider are:

1. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign - They offer online courses in Electromagnetism, Statistical Mechanics, and Quantum Mechanics.

2. University of Colorado Boulder - They have an online Master's program in Physics, which includes courses in E&M and Statistical Mechanics.

3. University of Maryland - They offer online courses in E&M, Statistical Mechanics, and Quantum Mechanics.

4. Georgia Institute of Technology - They offer online courses in E&M, Statistical Mechanics, and Quantum Mechanics.

It is important to note that the availability and format of these courses may vary. Some may be offered as traditional online courses, while others may be offered through a hybrid format with both online and in-person components.

Additionally, I would recommend reaching out to the admissions or academic departments of these universities to inquire about their specific requirements for applying to a Master's program. They may have specific guidelines for taking online courses for credit.

I hope this information helps in your pursuit to patch up your curriculum and apply for a Master's degree in Physics. Best of luck to you!

Related to Advanced Physics Online Courses

1. What are online courses in advanced physics?

Online courses in advanced physics are virtual classes that cover advanced topics in physics such as quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and electromagnetism. These courses are designed for students who have a strong foundation in basic physics concepts and are looking to deepen their understanding of the subject.

2. What are the benefits of taking an online course in advanced physics?

There are several benefits to taking an online course in advanced physics. These courses offer flexibility in terms of time and location, allowing students to study at their own pace and from anywhere in the world. They also provide access to expert instructors and a variety of resources, such as videos and interactive simulations, to enhance learning.

3. What are the prerequisites for enrolling in an advanced physics online course?

The prerequisites for enrolling in an advanced physics online course may vary depending on the course and the institution offering it. However, most courses require a strong background in basic physics, including topics such as mechanics, electricity and magnetism, and calculus. Some courses may also have specific math or science prerequisites.

4. How do online courses in advanced physics differ from traditional in-person courses?

Online courses in advanced physics differ from traditional in-person courses in several ways. One key difference is the mode of instruction - online courses utilize virtual lectures, videos, and other interactive materials, whereas traditional courses rely on in-person lectures and discussions. Additionally, online courses often offer more flexibility in terms of scheduling and pacing, while traditional courses typically follow a set schedule.

5. Can I receive college credit for an online course in advanced physics?

Yes, many online courses in advanced physics offer college credit. However, it is important to check with the institution offering the course to ensure that the credit will be accepted by your school. Additionally, some courses may require additional assessments or exams in order to receive credit.