Advanced Latex Formatting: Find the Right Book

In summary, there are several good books available for learning advanced formatting techniques in LaTeX. The LaTeX Companion is a comprehensive manual, while the original Knuth's TeXbook and TeX for the Impatient offer a deeper understanding of low-level details. However, it is recommended to use LaTeX commands instead of plain TeX for most users. One highly recommended book is Math Into $\LaTeX$, authored by George Grätzer and praised for its organization and coverage of important topics.
Dustinsfl
Does anyone know of any good Latex books that go over advanced formatting techniques?
I have the basics down.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have not followed recent developments, but I am not sure much have changed in the last several years. The LaTeX Companion is probably still a pretty complete manual.

Currently most things in LaTeX can be done using packages and user-friendly syntax. But if you want to understand low-level details, e.g., how lines are broken into paragraphs and how to create new paragraph styles, such as styles for epigraphs, signatures or nonstandard books, you can read the original Knuth's TeXbook, which deals with plain TeX. There is also TeX for the Impatient, which is freely available.

Using plain TeX is fun because you have more understanding of what exactly is going on. Corresponding LaTeX commands try to be modular and general, but their code is often hard to understand. However, currently TeX should be only used by those who know what they are doing and by hackers. LaTeX commands are preferred for most people, and learning both systems takes twice the effort. At some point, I wanted to learn TeX really well, but then decided that it is not worth it because of its horrible semantics. TeX is brilliant from the standpoint of efficiency but awful from the standpoint of programming languages theory.

For other books, including some reviews, see TeX Users Group.

I like Math Into $\LaTeX$, by George Grätzer. It's well-organized and has most things in it.

Related to Advanced Latex Formatting: Find the Right Book

What is "Advanced Latex Formatting: Find the Right Book"?

"Advanced Latex Formatting: Find the Right Book" is a step-by-step guide that teaches readers how to effectively format and design their books using Latex, a typesetting system commonly used in scientific and technical publications.

Who can benefit from reading this book?

This book is primarily aimed towards scientists, researchers, and academics who want to learn how to format their publications in Latex. However, anyone who is interested in learning about advanced Latex formatting techniques can also benefit from reading this book.

What are some of the topics covered in this book?

This book covers a wide range of advanced Latex formatting topics, such as customizing page layout, creating tables and figures, handling citations and references, and formatting equations and mathematical expressions.

Do I need any prior knowledge of Latex to read this book?

Some basic knowledge of Latex is recommended, but not necessary. This book starts with a brief introduction to Latex and gradually progresses to more advanced topics, making it accessible for beginners and experienced users alike.

How can this book help improve the quality of my publications?

By learning advanced Latex formatting techniques, you can enhance the visual appeal and professionalism of your publications. This can ultimately help you to convey your ideas and research more effectively and make a good impression on your readers.