Non-harmonic oscillatory motion

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a solid sphere rolling without slipping in a cylindrical trough and determining its period of simple harmonic motion for small displacements. An energy-based approach is suggested, with the need for an expression for both the kinetic and potential energy of the system. The Lagrangian and equation of motion are also mentioned, with the period of oscillation being found through a small angle approximation. The potential energy is added to the equation and it is noted that energy is conserved.
Nitrus
I've got a test coming up with a problem similar to this one, I've figured out some of it but I am kinda lost on the rest, here it goes:
A solid sphere (radius = R) rolls without slipping in a cylindrical trough (radius = 5R). Show that, for small displacements from equilibrium perpendicular to the length of the trough, the sphere executes simple harmonic motion with a period T=2pi (28R/5g)^1/2.

Work:
I decided on taking an energy approach to this problem, and by doing so I must look at the KE of both the sphere and the effect the trough has on it.
[tex]
v= \frac {ds} {dt} = 4R \frac {d\theta} {dt}
[/tex]
[tex]
V=\frac {ds}{dt} = R\Omega
[/tex]
<p>
[tex]
\Omega =\frac {V} {R} = 4 \frac {d\theta} {dt}
[/tex]
with that we have the following (also including moment of intertia for the sphere)
[tex]
K = \frac {1} {2} 4R {\frac {d\theta}{dt}}^2 + \frac {1} {2}(\frac{2} {5} mR^2)(4{\frac {d\theta}{dt}}^2))
[/tex]
the trough is a half circle by the way...
that all simplifies to
[tex]
((\frac {d\theta}{dt}))^2 \frac {56mR^2}{5}
[/tex]
so now i have the energy of the system, what should i do next?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know if you want your expression for kinetic energy checked (I didn't), but I can tell you that if you want to use an energy-based approach to this problem, you will also need an expression for the potential energy of the system. You can then write the Lagrangian and write out the equation of motion of the system. The period of oscillation will fall out of a small angle approximation of the equation of motion.

Add the potential energy, which I believe is
[tex]4mgR(1-\cos\theta)\approx 2mgR\theta^2[/tex], note that energy is conserved, try harmonic variation for [tex]\theta[/tex], and you'll find your answer.

1. What is non-harmonic oscillatory motion?

Non-harmonic oscillatory motion refers to the periodic motion of an object that does not follow a sinusoidal pattern. This means that the amplitude, frequency, or period of the motion may vary over time.

2. What are some examples of non-harmonic oscillatory motion?

Examples of non-harmonic oscillatory motion include the motion of a pendulum in air resistance, the motion of a mass on a spring with damping, and the motion of an earthquake.

3. How is non-harmonic oscillatory motion different from harmonic oscillatory motion?

Non-harmonic oscillatory motion differs from harmonic oscillatory motion in that the latter follows a sinusoidal pattern with a constant amplitude, frequency, and period, while the former may have varying values for these parameters.

4. What factors can affect non-harmonic oscillatory motion?

Factors that can affect non-harmonic oscillatory motion include external forces, such as air resistance or friction, as well as internal factors like damping or stiffness of the system.

5. How is non-harmonic oscillatory motion mathematically described?

Non-harmonic oscillatory motion can be described using differential equations, such as the damped harmonic oscillator equation or the forced harmonic oscillator equation. These equations take into account the effects of external forces and internal factors on the motion of the system.