Adjoint and inverse of product of operators

In summary: So, to answer the original question, yes, the relations hold for operators in infinite dimensions as well. In summary, we have the relations for two linear operators between finite dimensional spaces (matrices) assuming their adjoints/inverses exist, but the relations also hold for operators in infinite dimensions, specifically for bounded linear operators between Banach spaces. The definition for the adjoint of a bounded linear operator on a Banach space is the same as for Hilbert spaces.
ellilu11
I know for two linear operators $$H_1, H_2$$ between finite dimensional spaces (matrices) we have the relations (assuming their adjoints/inverses exist):
$$(H_1 H_2)^* = H_2^* H_1^*$$ and $$(H_1 H_2)^{-1} = H_2^{-1} H_1^{-1}$$
but does this extend to operators in infinite dimensions? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ellilu11 said:

Well, given a dimension N, the relations are true. Since we do not impose any restriction on N...

Yes, this is true for bounded linear operators between Banach spaces.

Okay thanks. Do you have a reference where I can learn about the Banach space case?

A course in functional analysis should help you. Do you have that in your school's schedule?

Hawkeye18 said:
Yes, this is true for bounded linear operators between Banach spaces.
Is there a definition of the adjoint of a bounded linear operator on a Banach space? The definition I'm familiar with is for Hilbert spaces.

ellilu11 said:
I know for two linear operators $$H_1, H_2$$ between finite dimensional spaces (matrices) we have the relations (assuming their adjoints/inverses exist):
$$(H_1 H_2)^* = H_2^* H_1^*$$ and $$(H_1 H_2)^{-1} = H_2^{-1} H_1^{-1}$$
In the finite-dimensional case, the proofs go like this:
\begin{align}
&\langle (AB)^*x,y\rangle =\langle x,ABy\rangle =\langle A^*x,By\rangle =\langle B^*A^*x,y\rangle\\
&B^{-1}A^{-1}A B= B^{-1} I B =B^{-1} B=I.
\end{align} The proofs for bounded linear operators on an infinite-dimensional Hilbert space are the same. For unbounded linear operators, the domains of the operators are an issue. The domains are proper linear subspaces of the Hilbert space, so the first calculation can at best make sense for all ##x,y## in some proper linear subspace (I don't have time to think about the details right now), and the second calculation should be changed to
$$B^{-1}A^{-1}A Bx= B^{-1}I|_{\operatorname{dom} A}Bx =B^{-1}Bx=x,$$ for all x such that x is in the domain of B and Bx is in the domain of A.

Last edited:
Fredrik said:
Is there a definition of the adjoint of a bounded linear operator on a Banach space? The definition I'm familiar with is for Hilbert spaces.

Yes, although not everybody calls it the adjoint. If you have a operator ##T:B_1\rightarrow B_2##, then you can define ##T^*:B_2^*\rightarrow B_1^*## by ##T^*(f) = f\circ T##. Only in Hilbert spaces does this give rise to an operator ##B_2\rightarrow B_1## by the Riesz isomorphisms.

notice from micromass' definition the formula (ToS)* = S*oT* is immediate. i.e. since by definition,

we have T*(f) = foT, applying S* to both sides gives S*oT* (f) = foToS = (ToS)*(f).

so it has nothing to do with the dimension being finite. and i think you can finesse fredrick's subtle remarks in case the maps are not defined everywhere, by saying, "and hence this holds wherever both sides make sense".

Last edited:
If you adapt the pretty standard in functional analysis notation ##\langle x, f\rangle## for ##f(x)##, where ##x## is in a Banach space ##X## and ##f## is in its dual (i.e. a bounded linear functional on ##X##) then the formula defining the adjoin (dual) operator is absolutely the same as for the Hilbert spaces. Only now, as micromass mentioned the dual operator acts between dual spaces. And the proof Frederik presented for ##(AB)^*=B^*A^*## for Hilbert spaces works in the case of Banach spaces without any changes.

Related to Adjoint and inverse of product of operators

1. What is the definition of the adjoint of a product of operators?

The adjoint of a product of operators is defined as the product of the adjoints of the individual operators, in reverse order. In a mathematical notation, if A and B are operators, the adjoint of their product AB is given by (AB)* = B* A*.

2. How is the adjoint of a product of operators related to the inverse of the product?

The adjoint of a product of operators and the inverse of the product are related through the property of self-adjointness. If AB is a self-adjoint operator, then (AB)* = (AB)-1. This means that the inverse of a self-adjoint product of operators is equal to its adjoint.

3. What is the significance of the adjoint of a product of operators in linear algebra?

The adjoint of a product of operators is an important concept in linear algebra because it allows us to define the behavior of operators in a vector space. The adjoint of a product of operators helps us understand how operators act on vectors and how they relate to each other.

4. How is the adjoint of a product of operators used in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the adjoint of a product of operators is used to calculate the expectation value of a physical observable. This is done by taking the inner product of the operator with its adjoint, which gives us a real number that represents the expected outcome of the measurement of the observable.

5. Can the adjoint of a product of operators be calculated for non-linear operators?

No, the adjoint of a product of operators can only be calculated for linear operators. This is because the definition of the adjoint relies on the linearity property of operators. Non-linear operators do not satisfy this property and therefore do not have an adjoint.