Adiabiatic Process: q=0 & Work Done Path Function?

• Thread starter Rachit Garg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Process
In summary, an adiabatic process is a thermodynamic process where there is no heat transfer between the system and its surroundings. This is represented by the equation q=0. Work done is considered a path function in this process, as it depends on the path taken to reach a certain state. Adiabatic processes relate to the first law of thermodynamics by simplifying the equation to ΔU = -W. Real-life examples include gas compression in a piston, air flow over an airplane wing, and air compression in a bicycle pump.
Rachit Garg
In an adiabiatic process q=0 so change in internal energy become equal to work. Since internal energy is path function so work done in an adiabiatic process should also be path function then why work done in adibiatic reversible and irreversible different?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rachit Garg said:
internal energy is path function so work done in an adiabiatic process should also be path function

This assumes that every state traversed by the process is a thermodynamic equilibrium state. Out of thermodynamic equilibrium, the concept of a "path function" is not well-defined.

Rachit Garg said:
why work done in adibiatic reversible and irreversible different?

Because in an irreversible process, the intermediate states are not in thermodynamic equilibrium.

By mistake i have wriitten that i want to say In an adiabiatic process q=0 so change in internal energy become equal to work. Since internal energy is state function so work done in an adiabiatic process should also be state function then why work done in adibiatic reversible and irreversible different?

Rachit Garg said:
By mistake i have wriitten that i want to say In an adiabiatic process q=0 so change in internal energy become equal to work. Since internal energy is state function so work done in an adiabiatic process should also be state function then why work done in adibiatic reversible and irreversible different?

This is basically the same question you asked in your OP, and I answered it in post #2. (My answer is still valid if you substitute "state function" for "path function".) Do you have questions about my answer?

Related to Adiabiatic Process: q=0 & Work Done Path Function?

1. What is an adiabatic process?

An adiabatic process is a thermodynamic process in which there is no heat transfer between the system and its surroundings. This means that the change in internal energy of the system is equal to the work done on it.

2. What is the significance of q=0 in an adiabatic process?

The equation q=0 means that there is no heat transferred during the process. This is a defining characteristic of an adiabatic process and is what sets it apart from other thermodynamic processes.

3. Why is work done considered a path function in an adiabatic process?

Work done is considered a path function in an adiabatic process because its value depends on the path taken to reach a certain state, rather than just the initial and final states of the system. This is because the amount of work done on a system is affected by external factors such as pressure and volume, which can vary along different paths.

4. How does an adiabatic process relate to the first law of thermodynamics?

The first law of thermodynamics states that the change in internal energy of a system is equal to the heat added to the system minus the work done by the system. In an adiabatic process, q=0, so the equation simplifies to ΔU = -W. This means that the change in internal energy is solely dependent on the work done on the system.

5. What are some real-life examples of adiabatic processes?

Some common examples of adiabatic processes include the expansion or compression of gases in a piston, the flow of air over an airplane wing, and the compression of air in a bicycle pump. These processes occur without any heat transfer, making them adiabatic.