Adiabatic Process (Poisson’s equations)

In summary, the highlighted box uses the relation dW = PdV which does not assume that P is constant during the process. This can be compared to a particle with varying velocity along the x-axis, where the displacement during an infinitesimal time interval is still valid even though the velocity is not constant. The derivation of the P-V relation for adiabatic heating and cooling can be found in the article linked. However, it was not helpful for the person asking the question.
Taulant Sholla
Homework Statement
I'm lacking clarity with the statements I highlighted in the passage found in my physics textbook. It is stated that P, V, and T all vary during an adiabatic process, but the next box I highlighted uses dW=PdV which assumes pressure is constant during this process. These seem to be contradictory statements. What am I missing here? Thank you.
Relevant Equations
dW=PdV
Picture1.png

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Taulant Sholla said:
the next box I highlighted uses dW=PdV which assumes pressure is constant during this process.

The relation ##dW = PdV## does not assume that ##P## is constant during the process.

A similar example would be a particle moving along the x-axis with a varying velocity. At some instant of time, you can write the instantaneous velocity as ##v = dx/dt##. This can be "rearranged" as ##dx = vdt##. So, the displacement during an infinitesimal time interval ##dt## is ##dx = vdt##. This is valid even though ##v## is not constant during the motion.

Likes Delta2 and Lnewqban
TSny said:
The relation ##dW = PdV## does not assume that ##P## is constant during the process.

A similar example would be a particle moving along the x-axis with a varying velocity. At some instant of time, you can write the instantaneous velocity as ##v = dx/dt##. This can be "rearranged" as ##dx = vdt##. So, the displacement during an infinitesimal time interval ##dt## is ##dx = vdt##. This is valid even though ##v## is not constant during the motion.

Please accept my belated thank you! This really helped!

Lnewqban said:
Please, look for "Derivation of PV relation for adiabatic heating and cooling" at this article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adiabatic_process

I did, it didn't help. Thanks anyway - I got an assist from another kind soul.

Related to Adiabatic Process (Poisson’s equations)

1. What is an adiabatic process?

An adiabatic process is a thermodynamic process in which there is no transfer of heat between a system and its surroundings. This means that the system is insulated and does not exchange energy with its surroundings in the form of heat.

2. What is the significance of Poisson's equations in adiabatic processes?

Poisson's equations are a set of mathematical equations that describe the relationship between pressure, volume, and temperature in an adiabatic process. These equations help to determine the changes in these variables as a system undergoes an adiabatic process.

3. How do you calculate the change in temperature in an adiabatic process?

The change in temperature in an adiabatic process can be calculated using the equation T2/T1 = (V1/V2)^γ-1, where T1 and T2 are the initial and final temperatures, V1 and V2 are the initial and final volumes, and γ is the specific heat ratio of the gas.

4. What is the difference between an adiabatic process and an isothermal process?

An adiabatic process is one in which there is no exchange of heat, while an isothermal process is one in which the temperature remains constant. In an adiabatic process, the change in temperature is due to changes in pressure and volume, while in an isothermal process, the change in temperature is due to the transfer of heat.

5. What are some real-life examples of adiabatic processes?

Some examples of adiabatic processes include the compression and expansion of gases in a car engine, the compression and expansion of air in a bicycle pump, and the expansion of air in a can of compressed air. Weather phenomena such as thunderstorms and hurricanes are also examples of adiabatic processes.