Adiabatic Lapse Rate Explained: Work, Energy, & Temperature

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of work done and energy used in relation to expanding and compressing gases. The speaker shares their understanding of how heat and temperature play a role in this process, but also expresses confusion about conflicting information they have found. The other person clarifies that this is known as the First Law of Thermodynamics and explains how it relates to keeping track of energy. They also point out that any process involving a system will involve some form of work or heat exchange.
styart
I Think I understand this, but when I look it up, I keep reading about work done and energy used, which puzzles me.
The simple way I have always thought about it is, when you expand a gas you also expand the heat it contains, so while it contains the same amount of heat, it's concentration (which I equate to temperature is reduced) it you were then to compress it back to it's original volume, it would have it's origional temperature, (no energy used or lost)
Is this wrong.
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
styart said:
but when I look it up, I keep reading about work done and energy used
This is called the First Law of Thermodynamics. It's how the "bookkeeping" on all forms of energy is done.
styart said:
(no energy used or lost) Is this wrong.
Any process taking a system from one state to another and returning it to the original state always involves work done on and/or by the system, and/or heat lost and/or gained by the system.

Related to Adiabatic Lapse Rate Explained: Work, Energy, & Temperature

1. What is an adiabatic lapse rate?

An adiabatic lapse rate is the rate at which the temperature of a parcel of air changes as it rises or sinks in the atmosphere without exchanging heat with its surroundings. It is affected by the work done by the parcel of air and its change in potential energy.

2. How is work related to adiabatic lapse rate?

Work done by a parcel of air is directly related to the change in temperature as it rises or sinks in the atmosphere. As the parcel of air expands or compresses, it either gains or loses energy, which affects its temperature and ultimately its adiabatic lapse rate.

3. What is the difference between dry and moist adiabatic lapse rates?

The dry adiabatic lapse rate refers to the change in temperature of a parcel of dry air as it rises or sinks without any water vapor present. The moist adiabatic lapse rate takes into account the condensation of water vapor in the parcel of air, which releases latent heat and affects its temperature change.

4. How does the adiabatic lapse rate affect weather patterns?

The adiabatic lapse rate plays a crucial role in the formation of weather patterns, particularly in the development of clouds and precipitation. As air rises and cools, it may reach its dew point and condense, leading to cloud formation and potential precipitation. Understanding the adiabatic lapse rate is essential in predicting and understanding weather patterns.

5. How is the adiabatic lapse rate measured?

The adiabatic lapse rate can be measured using weather balloons equipped with sensors that measure temperature and pressure changes as the balloon rises through the atmosphere. This data is then used to calculate the adiabatic lapse rate for a particular location and time.