Adiabatic expansion of a saturated vapor mix: Δx, ΔS

In summary: Thanks for helping me out with this problem!In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where a saturated water vapor mix expands adiabatically in a piston-cylinder system, producing 500 kJ of work and reaching a final temperature of 50C. The conversation covers the steps taken to find the final quality and change in entropy, as well as the discrepancy between the calculated work for an adiabatic and reversible process. It is concluded that the data in the problem statement may be incorrect and further exploration is needed.
james_a

Homework Statement

A saturated water vapor mix in a 0.05m3 piston-cylinder at 200C with a quality of 0.5 expands adiabatically, producing 500kJ work with a final temperature of 50C. Find:
a) final quality
b) change in entropy[/B]

Homework Equations

Q-W=ΔU
x=(vavg-vf)/(vg-vf)
uavg=uf+xufg
savg=sf+xsfg

The Attempt at a Solution

A)[/B]
For an adiabatic process Q=0, so -W=ΔU=-500kJ

If I can used the starting parameters to find u1 and the total mass, I can find U1 , U2, then u2 and use the equation uavg=uf+xufg to find the final value for x, the quality.

relevant values from the steam tables:
@ 200C:
uf=850.65 kJ/kg
ufg=1744.7 kJ/kg
vg=0.13736 m3/kg
vf=0.001157 m3/kg

@ 50C:
uf=209.32 kJ/kg
ufg=2234.2 kJ/kg

x=0.5=(vavg-vf)/(vg-vf)
vavg=x(vg-vf)+vf=0.06926 m3/kg
V/vavg=m=0.7219 kg

uavg=uf+xufg=850.65+0.5(1744.7)=1723 kJ/kg

U1=mu1=0.7219*1723=1243.86 kJ

U2-U1=ΔU=-500kJ
ΔU+U1=U2=-500+1243.86=743.86kJ

U2/m=u2=1030.42 kJ/kg
uavg=uf+xufg
(uavg-uf)/ufg=(1030.42-209.32)/2231.2=0.368=X2

b)
On to entropy:

savg=sf+xsfg
Δs=savg 2+savg 1
ΔS=mΔs

from the steam tables:
@ 200C
sf=2.3309 kJ/kg*K
sfg=4.1014
@ 50C
sf=0.7038 kJ/kg*K
sfg=7.3725

ΔS=mΔs=0.7219((0.7038+0.368*7.3725)-(2.3309+0.5(4.1014)))=-0.69

So this was the first red flag for me. I thought ΔS is always supposed to be greater than 0. Then the second realization hit me, isn't ΔS 0 for an adiabatic process? But then, if ΔS=0, I solved for x
sf1-0.5sfg1=sf2-xsfg2 and came out with x=0.499, so essentially no Δs means no Δx. So is final x 0.368 or 0.5?

I've checked over and over my calculations in part a. I've quadruple checked to make sure the values were correctly copied from the tables. I've redone the calculations to make sure I copied the values correctly into my calculator. Is some part of the process in part a incorrect, do the equations I used not apply in this situation for some reason?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've checked over your calculations, and they look correct to me. Certainly, in line with the Clausius inequality, ΔS should be ≥ 0 for an adiabatic process on a closed system. So there must be something wrong with the data in the problem statement, either the 500 kJ work or the 50 C final temperature.

Chet

Likes james_a
Chestermiller said:
I've checked over your calculations, and they look correct to me. Certainly, in line with the Clausius inequality, ΔS should be ≥ 0 for an adiabatic process on a closed system. So there must be something wrong with the data in the problem statement, either the 500 kJ work or the 50 C final temperature.

Chet
Thanks for looking it over! I was really wondering if I was missing something big... or losing my mind.

james_a said:
Thanks for looking it over! I was really wondering if I was missing something big... or losing my mind.
I think it would be interesting to figure out how much work would be done if the process were adiabatic and reversible (with the final temperature still 50 C) to compare with the 500 kJ.

Incidentally, I checked my steam tables for the specific volume of the vapor at 200 C, and it showed 0.127 rather than 0.137. Maybe one of our tables has a typo.

Chet

Likes james_a
Chestermiller said:
I think it would be interesting to figure out how much work would be done if the process were adiabatic and reversible (with the final temperature still 50 C) to compare with the 500 kJ.

Incidentally, I checked my steam tables for the specific volume of the vapor at 200 C, and it showed 0.127 rather than 0.137. Maybe one of our tables has a typo.

Chet

Strange. I double checked and the steam table in my physical textbook - which I was using last night - states 0.137, while my digital copy of the textbook, which is a few editions newer states 0.127.

That is an interesting question. I think I know how to go about it.

Going with vg@200C=0.12721 m3/kg, recalculating vavg@200C and m using the same method as shown above, I came out with:
vavg@200C = 0.06418 m3/kg
m=0.779 kg

Now, if the expansion is reversible and adiabatic, Δs=0 and Δx=0, as was discovered when solving for final quality in sf1-0.5sfg1=sf2-xsfg2
Q=0
-W=ΔU
ΔU=mΔu=m((uf2+xufg2)-(uf1+xufg1))=-308.92kJ
W=309kJ

james_a said:
Strange. I double checked and the steam table in my physical textbook - which I was using last night - states 0.137, while my digital copy of the textbook, which is a few editions newer states 0.127.

That is an interesting question. I think I know how to go about it.

Going with vg@200C=0.12721 m3/kg, recalculating vavg@200C and m using the same method as shown above, I came out with:
vavg@200C = 0.06418 m3/kg
m=0.779 kg

Now, if the expansion is reversible and adiabatic, Δs=0 and Δx=0, as was discovered when solving for final quality in sf1-0.5sfg1=sf2-xsfg2
Q=0
-W=ΔU
ΔU=mΔu=m((uf2+xufg2)-(uf1+xufg1))=-308.92kJ
W=309kJ
For this particular situation, Δx for an adiabatic reversible expansion to 50 C just happened to come out close to zero. But that would not generally be the case.

You showed that, for the reversible adiabatic expansion, the amount of work was 309, rather than 500. For an irreversible adiabatic expansion, it would be less than 309.

Chet

Likes james_a
Chestermiller said:
For this particular situation, Δx for an adiabatic reversible expansion to 50 C just happened to come out close to zero. But that would not generally be the case.

You showed that, for the reversible adiabatic expansion, the amount of work was 309, rather than 500. For an irreversible adiabatic expansion, it would be less than 309.

Chet
Thank you for clarifying and pointing that out. I would have went along after today assuming Δx was always nearly 0 for reversible adiabatic processes.

Related to Adiabatic expansion of a saturated vapor mix: Δx, ΔS

1. What is adiabatic expansion?

Adiabatic expansion is a process in which a substance expands without gaining or losing heat to its surroundings. This means that the internal energy of the substance remains constant during the expansion.

2. What is a saturated vapor mix?

A saturated vapor mix is a mixture of vapor and liquid in which the vapor is in equilibrium with the liquid at a given temperature and pressure. This means that the vapor is at its maximum possible concentration for that temperature and pressure.

3. How is Δx calculated in adiabatic expansion of a saturated vapor mix?

Δx, or the change in specific volume, is calculated by taking the difference between the specific volume of the saturated vapor mix at the initial state and the final state. This can be determined using the steam tables or other thermodynamic tables.

4. What is the significance of ΔS in adiabatic expansion of a saturated vapor mix?

ΔS, or the change in entropy, measures the amount of disorder or randomness in a system. In adiabatic expansion, ΔS can be used to calculate the change in entropy of the saturated vapor mix during the expansion process.

5. How does adiabatic expansion of a saturated vapor mix relate to the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law, which relates pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of a gas, can be used to describe the behavior of a saturated vapor mix during adiabatic expansion. However, the ideal gas law assumes that the gas is an ideal gas, while a saturated vapor mix may have non-ideal behavior due to interactions between the vapor and liquid phases.