Adiabatic Expansion of a real gas

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the Joule-Thomson coefficient and its use in determining the heat required to maintain constant temperature in a certain gas.
claire791
I am having trouble with the very last part of this question. I will write the whole question just to make sure that I haven't screwed up the first part too :)

When a certain freon used in refrigeration was expanded adiabatically from an initial pressure of 32 atm and 0degrees C to a final pressure og 1.00atm, temperature fell by 22K. Calculate the Joule Thompson coefficient at 0degrees, assuming that it remains constant over this temperature range.

JT = dT/dP = -22K/-31atm = 0.71K/atm

If the molar heat capacity at constant perssire, Cpm, for the freon is 30J/K/mol, calculate the isothermal Joule-Thomson coefficient.

IJT = Cpm x JT = -30J/K/Mol x 0.71K/Atm = -21J/Mol/Atm

Using this value, determine how much heat must be supplied to maintain constant temperature when 15.0 moles flow through a throttle and the pressure drop in 55atm?

I know that q = 0 so dU = w but I am unsure of where to go from here??

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The work done by the gas is equal to the heat required to maintain constant temperature. Therefore, w = q = -IJT x n x ΔP = -21J/Mol/Atm x 15.0mol x 55atm = -14825J.

Related to Adiabatic Expansion of a real gas

1. What is adiabatic expansion?

Adiabatic expansion is a process in thermodynamics where a gas expands without exchanging heat with its surroundings. This means that the temperature of the gas will decrease as it expands.

2. How does adiabatic expansion differ from isothermal expansion?

Adiabatic expansion differs from isothermal expansion in that isothermal expansion occurs at a constant temperature, while adiabatic expansion occurs without any heat exchange. This means that the temperature of the gas will decrease in adiabatic expansion, while it remains constant in isothermal expansion.

3. What is the ideal gas law and how does it relate to adiabatic expansion?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of a gas. It can be used to calculate the change in temperature during an adiabatic expansion, as long as the gas behaves ideally.

4. Why is adiabatic expansion important in practical applications?

Adiabatic expansion is important in practical applications because it helps us understand the behavior of gases in various systems, such as engines and refrigeration systems. It also allows us to calculate the work done by the gas during expansion, which is important in understanding the efficiency of these systems.

5. How does the real gas law differ from the ideal gas law in adiabatic expansion?

The real gas law takes into account the non-ideal behavior of gases, such as intermolecular forces and molecular volume, which can affect the temperature change in adiabatic expansion. The ideal gas law assumes that the gas behaves perfectly, which may not always be the case in real-world situations.