Adiabatic Expansion: Constant pressure and temperature

In summary, adiabatic expansion is a process in thermodynamics where a gas expands without any heat exchange with its surroundings. When the expansion occurs at a constant pressure and temperature, it is known as isobaric adiabatic expansion. This type of expansion is characterized by a decrease in the gas's density and an increase in its volume. It is commonly seen in industrial processes and can be described by the ideal gas law. Isobaric adiabatic expansion is an important concept in understanding the behavior of gases and their applications in various fields.
Hpatps1
I'm new to the forum, so please be kind.

I was reading through my pchem textbook, and I noticed something. We're given the equation:

ΔU = q + w

For an adiabatic expansion, we're told that q = 0. Fair enough, no heat transfer. But when there is a constant T and change in V, my book says:

ΔU = 0 (U is constant)

I don't understand. W = -∫pdV, doesn't it? Why is work zero?
The book also says that for a perfect gas, U isn't dependent on volume. When they use this fact, it makes sense why ΔU = 0, but it seems like a contradiction when using the definition of work.

Also, the book continues and says:

ΔU = CvΔT when V is constant.

Again, W = -∫pdV, right? So dV = 0, shouldn't ΔU = 0?

Thanks in advance!

Science news on Phys.org
Hi Hpatps1,
For the adiabatic expansion we have the relation between T and V as T1V11-[itex]\gamma[/itex]=T2V21-[itex]\gamma[/itex].
Where T1,V1 and T2,V2 are data of the system at two different states. If T is constant then T1=T2. Then by the above equation V1=V2. Hence dV is zero, and the W. That's why ΔU is zero.
Now for the next. By the above data it is clear that dV is zero iff T is constant (ΔT=0). So in the equation ΔU=CvΔT, ΔU certainly becomes zero when ΔT=0.
Regards.

Thanks! That makes sense.

As a gas expands or contracts adiabatically, although q=0, the temperature changes as a result of the particles doing work on the surroundings, so there is a change in internal energy equal to the work done by or to the system. U is only dependent on the kinetic energies of the molecules of the gas in an ideal system.

Hpatps1 said:
I'm new to the forum, so please be kind.

I was reading through my pchem textbook, and I noticed something. We're given the equation:

ΔU = q + w

For an adiabatic expansion, we're told that q = 0. Fair enough, no heat transfer. But when there is a constant T and change in V, my book says:

ΔU = 0 (U is constant)

I don't understand. W = -∫pdV, doesn't it? Why is work zero?
I am not sure why you say W = 0. Why do you think W = 0?

The book also says that for a perfect gas, U isn't dependent on volume. When they use this fact, it makes sense why ΔU = 0, but it seems like a contradiction when using the definition of work.

Also, the book continues and says:

ΔU = CvΔT when V is constant.

Again, W = -∫pdV, right? So dV = 0, shouldn't ΔU = 0?
Why would ΔU = 0?

AM

Related to Adiabatic Expansion: Constant pressure and temperature

What is adiabatic expansion?

Adiabatic expansion is a process in thermodynamics where the volume of a gas increases without any heat being added or removed from the system. This results in a decrease in pressure and temperature of the gas.

What is constant pressure and temperature in adiabatic expansion?

Constant pressure and temperature in adiabatic expansion means that the pressure and temperature of the gas remain constant throughout the expansion process. This is achieved by insulating the system and preventing any heat exchange with the surroundings.

What is the equation for calculating work in adiabatic expansion?

The equation for calculating work in adiabatic expansion is W = PΔV, where W is work done, P is pressure, and ΔV is the change in volume of the gas.

What is the difference between adiabatic expansion and isothermal expansion?

The main difference between adiabatic expansion and isothermal expansion is that adiabatic expansion occurs without any heat exchange, while isothermal expansion occurs with constant temperature and heat exchange with the surroundings. This results in different changes in pressure and temperature for the gas.

What are some real-life examples of adiabatic expansion?

Some real-life examples of adiabatic expansion include the expansion of air in a bicycle pump when the handle is pushed down, the expansion of gases in a jet engine, and the expansion of air in a tire when it is pumped up.