Adiabatic Compression - Graphs

This is because the system is being compressed during the adiabatic reaction, which means the pressure and volume are changing and not in equilibrium with each other.
icecube

Homework Statement

Consider an adiabatic chemical reaction which results in the system being compressed. Assume an infinitely large surrounding.
Draw a pressure-volume plot for the process. Indicate the points corresponding to your final and initial volumes o the plot. Indicate at which point(s) the pressure of the system in in equilibrium with the surroundings.

Draw a temperature-volume plot for the process. Indicate the points corresponding to your final and initial volumes o the plot. Indicate at which point(s) the temperature of the system in in equilibrium with the surroundings.

The Attempt at a Solution

341px-Adiabatic.svg.png

I basically drew an inverse curve like this, and labeled the right-most point as the initial volume, and left most as the final volume.I do not know where the pressure would be at equilibrium though :|. Would it just be when the reaction is completed, so at the left-most points?

I did the same for the temperature-volume plot, since it was hinted that the plot would be similar to the pressure-volume plot. But again, I do not know where it would be at equilibrium. I feel like it would depend on the surroundings.

Homework Statement

Explain why the following statement is true: "Assuming that the system was in thermodynamic equilibrium prior to the chemical reaction, no point on the pressure-volume plot corresponds to the pre-reaction system."

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought this is true just because the pressure-volume plot would have a different initial volume so it wouldn't be the same as the pre-reaction system. I'm really not sure where to go with this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any help would be greatly appreciated. The statement is true because the pressure-volume plot represents the changing pressure and volume of the system during the reaction, not before the reaction begins. Therefore, no point on the plot corresponds to the pre-reaction system since the system has not yet entered into a state of thermodynamic equilibrium.

Related to Adiabatic Compression - Graphs

1. What is adiabatic compression?

Adiabatic compression is a process in thermodynamics where the volume of a gas decreases while its temperature and pressure increase, without any heat exchange with the surroundings.

2. How is adiabatic compression represented on a graph?

Adiabatic compression is represented by a curve on a pressure-volume (P-V) or temperature-entropy (T-S) graph. This curve is steeper than an isothermal curve, indicating a faster increase in pressure or temperature with a decrease in volume.

3. What is the significance of the slope of the adiabatic curve on a graph?

The slope of the adiabatic curve represents the ratio between the change in pressure and the change in volume (or temperature and entropy). This ratio is known as the adiabatic exponent (γ) and is a measure of the gas's ability to transfer heat.

4. How does the adiabatic curve compare to the isothermal curve on a graph?

The adiabatic curve is steeper than the isothermal curve, indicating a faster change in pressure or temperature with a change in volume. This is because adiabatic processes do not involve heat exchange, while isothermal processes do.

5. What are some real-life examples of adiabatic compression?

Some examples of adiabatic compression in everyday life include the compression of air in a bicycle pump, the compression of gases in a car engine, and the compression of air in a scuba tank. It is also used in industrial processes such as the compression of natural gas in pipelines and the compression of refrigerants in air conditioning systems.