Formula for the harmonic oscillator is f"(x)+W^2 * X(t)=0

In summary, the formula for the harmonic oscillator is f"(x)+W^2 * X(t)=0, where x(t) is defined by x(t) = A \sin(\omega t+\phi) and satisfies the equation \ddot{x}(t) + \omega^2 x(t) = 0. This can be derived by starting from the basic equation of motion for a mass-spring oscillator, ma+kx=0, and using the definition of acceleration (a=x"(t)) and the standard equation for the period of oscillation (T=(2(Pi))sqrt(m/K)). Simplifying further, the formula can be written as x"(t)+(w^2)x=0, where w = sqrt
Chiara
can anyboy show to me why the formula for the harmonic oscillator is f"(x)+W^2 * X(t)=0. Please I spent a whole afternoon trying to figure it out and I just wasted my time.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Chiara
can anyboy show to me why the formula for the harmonic oscillator is f"(x)+W^2 *X(t)=0.

Do you mean x''(t), not f''(x)?

I'm not sure where you're starting from. Are you starting from a harmonic oscillator as something whose motion is defined by,

[tex]x(t) = A \sin(\omega t+\phi)[/tex]

? If so, if you just calculate its second time derivative [tex]\ddot{x}(t)[/tex], you can see immediately that it satisfies the equation,

[tex]\ddot{x}(t) + \omega^2 x(t) = 0[/tex]

Hopefully i can get this right.

Using the example of a mass and spring oscillator. By Newton's £rd Law the forces on the spring are equal. The forces on the spring are the force on the mass (F1=ma) and the resistive force on the spring
(F2+-kx, negative because it is resitive and opposite to F1=ma)

Therefore

F1=F2
ma=-kx
ma+kx=0

By definition a= x"(t)

So mx"(t)+ kx=0
Dividing by m gives x"(t)+(k/m)x=0

The standard equation for the period of oscillation (T) of a mass spring
pendulum is

T = (2(Pi))sqrt(m/K)

omega= w = (2(Pi))/T = 2(pi)/((2(Pi))sqrt(m/K))

The 2(pi) should cancel and leave you with w = sqrt(K/m)
Squaring both sides gives w^2=(K/m)

Substitute this into the above equation and get

x"(t) + (w^2)x = 0

I hope that's understandable as I never tried writing such an equation in pure text before. Hope it works and helps.

1. What is the formula for the harmonic oscillator?

The formula for the harmonic oscillator is f(x) + W^2 * X(t) = 0.

2. How is the harmonic oscillator formula derived?

The harmonic oscillator formula is derived from Newton's Second Law of Motion, which states that the force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In the case of the harmonic oscillator, the force is proportional to the displacement from equilibrium and is directed towards the equilibrium position.

3. What do the variables in the harmonic oscillator formula represent?

The variable f(x) represents the restoring force, which is proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. The variable W^2 represents the angular frequency of the oscillator, and X(t) represents the displacement from equilibrium at time t.

4. What is the significance of the harmonic oscillator formula?

The harmonic oscillator formula is significant because it is a fundamental equation in physics and is used to describe the motion of various systems, such as pendulums, springs, and atoms. It also has applications in fields such as engineering, chemistry, and quantum mechanics.

5. How is the harmonic oscillator formula used in real-world situations?

The harmonic oscillator formula is used to model and predict the behavior of vibrating systems, such as musical instruments, clocks, and bridges. It is also used in the design and analysis of mechanical and electrical systems, such as shock absorbers, microchips, and radio circuits.