Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Resource icon

Additional Thread Tools 1.6

No permission to download
  • Admin

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
MarkFL submitted a new resource:

Additional Thread Tools - Gives you additional options for the behavior and appearance of threads.

Overview:

This product gives you additional options for the behavior and appearance of threads in the thread listing within forums and search results. You also have the option to define a time limit in days for the persistence of these additional attributes you give to threads, which could be used for example in the case where your users are paying a fee to have their threads be more noticeable for a certain amount of time.

You may select which of these attributes...
Read more about this resource...

Last edited:

scottkoz20

Sep 21, 2017
hey Mark -

Not sure if this is possible - how hard would it be to create an Auto-Lock thread capability to this? I want to use this to allow for timed auctions on sportscardforum.com and would love to have an auto-lock functionality to this.

Thanks for reviewing,
Scott

• Admin

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
hey Mark -

Not sure if this is possible - how hard would it be to create an Auto-Lock thread capability to this? I want to use this to allow for timed auctions on sportscardforum.com and would love to have an auto-lock functionality to this.

Thanks for reviewing,
Scott
Hey Scott! (Wave)

Is that the only thing you are wanting to do, or are you using other features of this product as well? The reason I ask is it would likely be much easier to create a separate product for that.

scottkoz20

Sep 21, 2017
Well - I want to think out loud about this.

I do like having the CSS change capabilities and I would want to leverage this with a specific prefix (here is a visual)

mark1.PNG

As for the current use of the Additional Thread Tools, I am not using everything in the modification and it might be better to have something separate for the auto lock on expiration.

Scott

• Admin

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Were you wanting threads to auto-close after a pre-set number of hours/days, and who is allowed to determine the closing time? Staff, or both staff and OP?

scottkoz20

Sep 21, 2017
Were you wanting threads to auto-close after a pre-set number of hours/days, and who is allowed to determine the closing time? Staff, or both staff and OP?
I would OK with the OP making the determination of the time.. I think from 1 to 7 days is plenty of time and yes, auto closing after the timer runs out.

• Admin

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I would OK with the OP making the determination of the time.. I think from 1 to 7 days is plenty of time and yes, auto closing after the timer runs out.
Okay, I think that will be easy enough to do. The actual thread closings would have to be a cron job, which I would set to run once an hour, so the closings would be exactly 1 to 7 days, but it would be off by less than an hour in each case. I will make it so that anyone who has permission to edit threads can set/change the duration. I will add a field below the title that will accept values permitted in the product settings. You will be able to choose whether to use hours or days.

I'm sure other things will come up, but once I have something for you to try out, I will begin another thread here, so we can discuss it, and iron out any details, etc.

scottkoz20

Sep 21, 2017
much appreciated

scottkoz20

Sep 21, 2017
Okay, I think that will be easy enough to do. The actual thread closings would have to be a cron job, which I would set to run once an hour, so the closings would be exactly 1 to 7 days, but it would be off by less than an hour in each case. I will make it so that anyone who has permission to edit threads can set/change the duration. I will add a field below the title that will accept values permitted in the product settings. You will be able to choose whether to use hours or days.

I'm sure other things will come up, but once I have something for you to try out, I will begin another thread here, so we can discuss it, and iron out any details, etc.
hey Mark - I know you have other stuff ongoing, just checking in on this. Something that I was thinking about, having a cron to close this out once an hour would be fine. I'll have to make sure on the template that is built out, persons using this will have to specify an end time to the nearest hour.

Also, in thinking about this some more, I would want to ensure this is set to be used in specific forums.

Thanks and sorry for the delay in the reply
SK

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Hey Scott,

Just letting you know I haven't forgotten about this, but I do have a lot of things that were in the queue ahead of this, but I will be starting this soon. :D

scottkoz20

Sep 21, 2017
not a high priority for me at the moment - I have enough between the site and the real job (and Math homework with the minion) to keep me busy :cool: