Adding Velocity and Acceleration

In summary, we can use the formula v = v0 + at to calculate the new velocity of an object after a constant acceleration. However, for changing acceleration, such as in the case of gravitational acceleration, we would need to use more complex equations, such as those for a falling body, which do not take into account external factors like air resistance.
Phys_Boi
So if a particle is at (0,0) and has a velocity of <-3,0> and an acceleration of <-2,-4> then we would add them to get the new position...

With a time interval of one second (t=1) then due to velocity:
Δx = -3(1) = -3
Δy = 0(1) = 0

then due to acceleration:
Δx = ½ (-2) (1)^2 = ½ (-2) = -1
Δy = ½ (-4) (1)^2 = ½ (-4) = -2

so we can add these displacements to get a new position of (-4, -2)

So my question is: after we arrive at this point and the acceleration has affected the velocity (and assuming the acceleration continues) is there another velocity vector? Or is there just the acceleration? Basically, do you only use the velocity once and forget it? Or does it still exist, and if so, how do you calculate it?

Thank you for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
For a constant acceleration, you can calculate the velocity of an object with the formula $$v = v_0 + at$$ where ##v_0## is the initial velocity before you start timing, and ##v## is the new velocity after a time ##t##, if the object experiences a constant acceleration ##a##. Using this formula you should be able to calculate the new velocity of the particle after one second

So I'm using gravitational acceleration..
a = GM/r2

how would I calculate the velocity for this changing acceleration?

Phys_Boi said:
So I'm using gravitational acceleration..
a = GM/r2

how would I calculate the velocity for this changing acceleration?

If you need to calculate the velocity of a falling body, where the acceleration due to gravity varies, have a look at this link

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equations_for_a_falling_body

Note that these formulae don't take into account factors like air resistance, etc.

Thank you sir

Related to Adding Velocity and Acceleration

What is velocity and how is it different from speed?

Velocity is a measure of an object's speed and direction of motion. While speed only tells us how fast an object is moving, velocity also includes the direction in which the object is moving.

How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is:
acceleration = (final velocity - initial velocity) / time

What is the relationship between velocity and acceleration?

Velocity and acceleration are closely related. Acceleration is the change in velocity over time, so an object's velocity will change if it is accelerating. Velocity can also be used to calculate acceleration, as shown in the formula above.

What are the units for velocity and acceleration?

The units for velocity are distance over time, such as meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h). The units for acceleration are distance over time squared, such as meters per second squared (m/s²) or kilometers per hour squared (km/h²).

How does adding velocity and acceleration affect an object's motion?

Adding velocity and acceleration can change the speed and direction of an object's motion. If an object is accelerating, its velocity will change over time, causing it to either speed up or slow down. If the object's velocity is constant, adding acceleration will cause it to change direction.