Adding vectors given just the magnitude

In summary, the problem attached involved using the equation sqrt(a^2+b^2) to calculate the resultant, but the attempt at a solution was deemed incorrect and the question was criticized for being poorly constructed. The use of a protractor was suggested to estimate the angle between the vectors, but it is unclear if this was expected on a test without being given the angle.
mrknowknow

Homework Statement

The problem is attached

Homework Equations

sqrt(a^2+b^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the equations above to calculate the resultant but apparently it wasn't right.

Attachments

• vectors.pdf
    146.2 KB · Views: 270
Physics news on Phys.org
It's a very poor question. Clearly some are equal, so there's no right way to fill those in. Others you cannot rank without making an estimate of the angle between the vectors from the diagram, so I suggest you do exactly that - get the protractor out. By eye, I'd say |B| > |A-B|, but it's a close call.

But this was on a test so do you think we were suppose to estimate the angle between the two?

mrknowknow said:
But this was on a test so do you think we were suppose to estimate the angle between the two?
If you were not given the angle then I see no alternative.

I think there may be a mistake in the given equations.

I would first check the given equations to ensure they are correct and applicable to the problem at hand. If there is a mistake, I would suggest finding the correct equations or seeking clarification from the instructor. If the equations are correct, I would then review my calculations to see if there are any errors. If I am still unable to find a solution, I would seek help from a colleague or the instructor to ensure that the problem is solved accurately. It is important to use accurate equations and methods in scientific calculations to ensure reliable results.

Related to Adding vectors given just the magnitude

1. How do you add vectors given just the magnitude?

To add vectors given just the magnitude, you first need to identify the direction of each vector. Then, use the trigonometric functions (sine, cosine, tangent) to find the components of each vector. Finally, add the components of each vector to get the resultant vector.

2. Can you add vectors with different magnitudes?

Yes, you can add vectors with different magnitudes as long as they have the same unit of measurement. However, the resultant vector will have a magnitude that is the sum of the individual vectors' magnitudes.

3. How do you add more than two vectors given just the magnitude?

To add more than two vectors given just the magnitude, you can use the head-to-tail method. Start by drawing the first vector from the origin and then draw the subsequent vectors from the head of the previous vector. The resultant vector is the vector drawn from the origin to the head of the last vector.

4. Do vectors have to be in the same direction to be added?

No, vectors do not have to be in the same direction to be added. However, the angle between the vectors will affect the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector. If the vectors are in opposite directions, the resultant vector will be the difference between their magnitudes.

5. Can vectors be added algebraically using their magnitude and direction?

Yes, vectors can be added algebraically using their magnitude and direction. You can use the Pythagorean theorem and trigonometric functions to determine the magnitude and direction of the resultant vector. This method is useful when the vectors are not drawn to scale.