Adding two waves with different amplitudes

In summary, when two waves with different amplitudes meet at opposite phases, destructive interference occurs and the resulting wave has a smaller amplitude but the same phase as the larger of the two. This can be easily visualized on graph paper as a subtraction of amplitudes. This only applies to sine waves.
Zahidur
Would there be destructive interference if I had two waves that are superimposed and the peak of one wave met the trough of the other but they both have different amplitudes? If there isn't total destructive interference, then what does the final wave look like?

Physics news on Phys.org
Zahidur said:
Would there be destructive interference if I had two waves that are superimposed and the peak of one wave met the trough of the other but they both have different amplitudes? If there isn't total destructive interference, then what does the final wave look like?
If they are in phase opposition, then the amplitudes subtract, and you are left with a wave having a smaller amplitude but the same phase as the larger of the two. You can draw this out on graph paper quite easily.
I am assuming sine waves here.

I suspected as much, just wanted to make sure. Thanks =)

Related to Adding two waves with different amplitudes

What is the result of adding two waves with different amplitudes?

The result of adding two waves with different amplitudes is a new wave with an amplitude that is the sum of the two original amplitudes.

How do you add two waves with different amplitudes?

To add two waves with different amplitudes, you need to plot both waves on a graph and then add the corresponding points on the y-axis to get the new wave's amplitude at each point.

What happens if the amplitudes of the two waves are equal?

If the amplitudes of the two waves are equal, the resulting wave will have an amplitude that is twice the original amplitude.

Can waves with different amplitudes interfere with each other?

Yes, waves with different amplitudes can interfere with each other, resulting in a wave with a varying amplitude at different points on the graph.

How do the wavelengths affect the addition of waves with different amplitudes?

The wavelengths do not directly affect the addition of waves with different amplitudes. However, if the two waves have different wavelengths, the resulting wave may have a more complex pattern due to the interference of the two waves.