Adding increasing fractions without averaging numerators

In summary, to add increasing fractions without averaging the numerators, you need to find a common denominator and then add the fractions by keeping the denominators the same and adding the numerators. You cannot just add the numerators and keep the denominators the same. A common denominator is a number that is divisible by all the denominators in the fractions being added. You can find it by listing out the multiples of each denominator and finding the smallest number that appears in all the lists. You can use a calculator to add increasing fractions without averaging the numerators, but make sure to use parentheses when entering the fractions. There are shortcuts and tricks such as converting the fractions into decimals or using the butterfly method, but these methods may not always give an
Afterthought
I'm interested in the following inequality (which may or may not be true)

Theorem 1:
##( \sum_{i=1}^n \frac{a_i} {n}\ )( \sum_{i=1}^n \frac{1} {b_i}\ ) > \sum_{i=1}^n \frac{a_i} {b_i}\ ##
Where ##n ≥ 2, a_1 < a_2 < ... < a_n## and ##b_1 < b_2 < ... < b_n##.

My attempt at a proof:

1) When n = 2, this says that ## (\frac{a_1 + a_2} {2})(\frac{1} {b_1}\ + \frac{1} {b_2}) > \frac{a_1} {b_1} + \frac{a_2} {b_2} ##
2) Expanding gives ## \frac{a_1}{2b_1} + \frac{a_2}{2b_1} + \frac{a_1}{2b_2} + \frac{a_2}{2b_2} > \frac{a_1} {b_1} + \frac{a_2} {b_2} ##
3) Because ##a_2 > a_1##, we can replace ##a_2## with ##a_1 + x##, where x is a positive real number, and get ## \frac{a_1}{2b_1} + (\frac{a_1}{2b_1} + \frac{x}{2b_1}) + (\frac{a_2}{2b_2} - \frac{x}{2b_2}) + \frac{a_2}{2b_2} > \frac{a_1} {b_1} + \frac{a_2} {b_2} ##
4) Combining terms and rearranging, we get ##\frac{a_1} {b_1} + \frac{a_2} {b_2} + \frac{x}{2b_1} - \frac{x}{2b_2} > \frac{a_1} {b_1} + \frac{a_2} {b_2} ##
5) Since ## b_2 > b_1, \frac{x}{2b_1} - \frac{x}{2b_2} > 0##, and then the above equality is true.

With a base case of n = 2 proven, I will now use induction to generalize this result:

6) Assume the inequality is true for n-1: ##( \sum_{i=1}^{n-1} \frac{a_i} {n-1}\ )( \sum_{i=1}^{n-1} \frac{1} {b_i}\ ) > \sum_{i=1}^{n-1} \frac{a_i} {b_i}\ ##
7) Setting z = ## \sum_{i=1}^{n-1} a_i\ ##, we can rewrite this as ##( \sum_{i=1}^{n-1} \frac{z} {(n-1)b_i}\ ) > \sum_{i=1}^{n-1} \frac{a_i} {b_i}\ ##
8) Adding ## \frac{a_n} {b_n} ## to both sides gives ##( \sum_{i=1}^{n-1} \frac{z} {(n-1)b_i}\ ) + \frac{a_n} {b_n} > \sum_{i=1}^{n} \frac{a_i} {b_i}\ ##
9) I will now make the following assumption: ## ( \sum_{i=1}^{n} \frac{z + a_n} {nb_i}\ ) > ( \sum_{i=1}^{n-1} \frac{z} {(n-1)b_i}\ ) + \frac{a_n} {b_n} > \sum_{i=1}^{n} \frac{a_i} {b_i}\ ##
By showing that the first term is greater than the second term, we can show that it is also greater than the third, and then we will be done (as the first term is another way of writing the first term in Theorem 1).

The rest is just algebra:

10) Changing denominators: ## ( \sum_{i=1}^{n} \frac{(n-1)(z + a_n)} {n(n-1)b_i}\ ) > ( \sum_{i=1}^{n-1} \frac{nz} {n(n-1)b_i}\ ) + \frac{n(n-1)a_n} {n(n-1)b_n} ##
11) Expanding the first term: ## ( \sum_{i=1}^{n-1} \frac{nz + na_n - z - a_n} {n(n-1)b_i}\ ) + \frac{(n-1)(z + a_n)} {n(n-1)b_n} > ( \sum_{i=1}^{n-1} \frac{nz} {n(n-1)b_i}\ ) + \frac{n(n-1)a_n} {n(n-1)b_n} ##
12) Rearranging: ## ( \sum_{i=1}^{n-1} \frac{nz + na_n - z - a_n} {n(n-1)b_i}\ ) - ( \sum_{i=1}^{n-1} \frac{nz} {n(n-1)b_i}\ ) > \frac{n(n-1)a_n} {n(n-1)b_n} - \frac{(n-1)(z + a_n)} {n(n-1)b_n} ##
13) The above becomes ## ( \sum_{i=1}^{n-1} \frac{na_n - z - a_n} {n(n-1)b_i}\ ) > \frac{na_n - z - a_n} {nb_n} ##
14) Diving both sides by ## na_n - z - a_n ##: ## ( \sum_{i=1}^{n-1} \frac{1} {n(n-1)b_i}\ ) > \frac{1} {nb_n} ##
15) Since ## b_{n-1} > b_{n-2} > ... > b_1 ##, ## ( \sum_{i=1}^{n-1} \frac{1} {n(n-1)b_i}\ ) > \sum_{i=1}^{n-1} \frac{1} {n(n-1)b_{n-1}} = \frac{1} {nb_{n-1}} ##. Similary, ## \frac{1} {nb_{n-1}} > \frac{1} {nb_{n}} ##

Therefore, the inequality in step 14 is true, which means that the inequality in step 9 is true, which proves Theorem 1.
---------

This was my first attempt at a formal proof, so sorry for any mistakes! My questions:

1) Is this a valid proof? Are there any missing steps or mistakes?
2) Is there a simpler proof?
3) Has this inequality been noticed before? Are there any other related stuff I can read up on?

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I didn't check each individual expression, but the general idea is right and the key steps look right as well.
If you replace the bi by their inverse (and require that those are in decreasing order), it is a common inequality. A nice homework problem for undergrads I guess.

It looks related to the problem "show that a/b+b/c+c/a >= 3".

Related to Adding increasing fractions without averaging numerators

1. How do I add increasing fractions without averaging the numerators?

To add increasing fractions without averaging the numerators, you first need to find a common denominator for all the fractions. Then, you can add the fractions by keeping the denominators the same and adding the numerators together. This will give you the sum of the fractions without averaging the numerators.

2. Can I just add the numerators and keep the denominators the same?

No, you cannot just add the numerators and keep the denominators the same when adding increasing fractions. This would result in an incorrect sum as the denominators represent the number of equal parts in the whole and must be accounted for when adding fractions.

3. What is a common denominator and how do I find it?

A common denominator is a number that is divisible by all the denominators in the fractions being added. To find a common denominator, you can list out the multiples of each denominator and find the smallest number that appears in all the lists. This number will be the common denominator.

4. Can I use a calculator to add increasing fractions without averaging the numerators?

Yes, you can use a calculator to add increasing fractions without averaging the numerators. Most calculators have a feature to add fractions by inputting the numerators and denominators separately. Just make sure to use parentheses when entering the fractions to avoid any errors.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks to adding increasing fractions without averaging the numerators?

Yes, there are some shortcuts and tricks that can help with adding increasing fractions without averaging the numerators. One method is to convert the fractions into decimals and then add them together. However, this may not always give an exact answer. Another method is to use the butterfly method, which involves multiplying the denominators and then cross-multiplying the numerators to find the sum. This method may be easier for some individuals but can be more time-consuming.