Adding electrical field vectors

In summary, the two charges at a point are equal in magnitude, so the y-components of the electrical field cancel. The resulting field is twice the x-component of the field of anyone charge.
FocusedWolf
I have this standard homework problem to find the electrical field at a point.

I figured out most of the math like the x and y components of the E Field from the two charges acting on the point. I also have the correct answer and i don't understand why the x components of the electrical charge cancel and all that's left is the sum of the two y components.

Here's drawing of problem and me figuring out direction of e fields: http://focusedwolf.googlepages.com/work2.bmp

It just looks to me like the y components should cancel and it's the sum of the x components.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the charges are equal in magnitude, the y-components should cancel, and the resulting field would be twice the x-component (in magnitude) of the field of anyone charge.

So your agreeing with my intrepration?

Here is the problem... with "work". they skpped a lot of steps, but notices at end says the x components cancel due to symmetry, and not the y. zzz

http://focusedwolf.googlepages.com/problem.jpg

Although not specified, I think they may have defined [tex]\theta[/tex] with respect to the y-axis. In that case, what they've stated is correct. [tex]cos\theta[/tex] components, and not the "x-components", do cancel out due to symmetry.

Hmm i think i get it...so its its not x = Ecos(theta) and y = Esin(theta) but instead, cause theta is "looking down", x = Esin(theta) and y = Ecos(theta)... so the x's do sum and the y's do cancel... just backwards :smile:

So if theta was defined from between x-axis and P, the "normal" way could be used with x = Ecos(theta)... and get same answer?

The answer would be the same, but your new theta would be pi/2 - old theta.

Remember, the direction of the field does NOT depend upon what coordiante system or the angle convention you use. If you're in doubt, think of it in physical terms.

Yep it worked :biggrin:

http://focusedwolf.googlepages.com/answer.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Adding electrical field vectors

1. What is an electrical field vector?

An electrical field vector is a representation of the direction and magnitude of an electric field at a given point in space. It is typically denoted by the symbol E and is expressed in units of volts per meter (V/m).

2. How do you add electrical field vectors?

To add electrical field vectors, you must use vector addition. This involves breaking down each vector into its components (x and y for 2D vectors, or x, y, and z for 3D vectors), adding the corresponding components together, and then using the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the resultant vector. The direction of the resultant vector can be found by using trigonometry to determine the angle between the resultant vector and the x-axis.

3. Can electrical field vectors cancel each other out?

Yes, electrical field vectors can cancel each other out. This can happen when two vectors are equal in magnitude but opposite in direction, resulting in a net electric field of zero at that point in space. This is known as destructive interference.

4. What are some real-world applications of adding electrical field vectors?

Adding electrical field vectors is important in understanding and predicting the behavior of electric fields in various situations. This is useful in many fields, including engineering, physics, and chemistry. For example, it is crucial in designing circuits, analyzing electrostatic interactions, and studying the behavior of charged particles in electric fields.

5. Are there any mathematical equations related to adding electrical field vectors?

Yes, there are several mathematical equations related to adding electrical field vectors. These include the vector addition formula, the Pythagorean theorem, and trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine. Additionally, Coulomb's law and Gauss's law are fundamental equations in electromagnetism that involve the concept of electrical field vectors.