Adding Angular Momentum is commutative, right?

In summary: If you change the sign of ##|0,0\rangle## in the first case, you get the second one. They are two equivalent representations.
TheDestroyer
I have angular momenta [tex]S=\frac{1}{2}[/tex] for spin, and [tex]I=\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

for nuclear angular momentum, which I want to add using the Clebsch-Gordon basis, so the conversion looks like:

$$
\begin{align}
\lvert 1,1\rangle &= \lvert\bigl(\tfrac{1}{2}\tfrac{1}{2}\bigr)\tfrac{1}{2}\tfrac{1}{2} \rangle ,\tag{4.21a} \\
\lvert 1,0\rangle &= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\biggl(\lvert\bigl( \tfrac{1}{2} \tfrac{1}{2} \bigr) \tfrac{1}{2},- \tfrac{1}{2}\rangle + \lvert\bigl( \tfrac{1}{2} \tfrac{1}{2}\bigr) ,-\tfrac{1}{2}\tfrac{1}{2}\rangle\biggr),\tag{4.21b} \\
\lvert 1,-1\rangle &= \lvert\bigl( \tfrac{1}{2} \tfrac{1}{2}\bigr) , -\tfrac{1}{2} , -\tfrac{1}{2}\rangle , \tag{4.21c} \\
\lvert 0,0\rangle &= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\biggl(\lvert\bigl( \tfrac{1}{2}\tfrac{1}{2}\bigr) \tfrac{1}{2},- \tfrac{1}{2} \rangle - \lvert\bigl( \tfrac{1}{2} \tfrac{1}{2}\bigr),- \tfrac{1}{2} \tfrac{1}{2}\rangle\biggr) , \tag{4.21d}
\end{align}
$$

where [tex]F=I+S[/tex], so this is the basis [tex]\lvert F m_F \rangle = \sum_m \lvert\bigl(I S\bigr),m_I m_S\rangle [/tex].

Now since adding angular momenta is commutative, the exchange between [tex]I[/tex] and [tex]S[/tex] shouldn't mathematically introduce any kind of difference.

In other words, in the basis described in those equations, it shouldn't matter whether I write it as [tex]\lvert\bigl(I S\bigr),m_I m_S\rangle[/tex] or [tex]\lvert\bigl(S I\bigr),m_S m_I\rangle[/tex], right?

Now the problem is the following: I have created the Hamiltonian matrix [tex]H=-\vec{\mu}\cdot \vec{B} = -2 \mu B_z S_z/\hbar[/tex] in the [tex]\lvert F m_F \rangle[/tex] representation, and actually the result depends on how you call those angular momenta, so the result could be

$$H = \begin{pmatrix}
\mu_B B & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & - \mu_B B & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 &\mu_B B \\
0 & 0 & \mu_B B & 0
\end{pmatrix}$$

Or could be

$$H = \begin{pmatrix}
\mu_B B & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & - \mu_B B & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 &-\mu_B B \\
0 & 0 & -\mu_B B & 0
\end{pmatrix}$$

Depending on how you "label" them, [tex]I[/tex] or [tex]S[/tex]... which is very confusing!

This happens because the off-diagonal terms

$$\left\langle 1 0 \right| S_z \left| 0 0 \right\rangle = \frac{1}{2} \left( \left\langle (\frac{1}{2} \frac{1}{2}) \frac{1}{2} -\frac{1}{2} \right| + \left\langle (\frac{1}{2} \frac{1}{2}) -\frac{1}{2} \frac{1}{2} \right| \right) S_z \left( \left| (\frac{1}{2} \frac{1}{2}) \frac{1}{2} -\frac{1}{2} \right\rangle - \left| (\frac{1}{2} \frac{1}{2}) -\frac{1}{2} \frac{1}{2} \right\rangle \right)$$

will be either [tex]\hbar/2[/tex] or [tex]-\hbar/2[/tex] depending on your convention whether it's [tex]\lvert\bigl(I S\bigr),m_I m_S\rangle[/tex] or [tex]\lvert\bigl(S I\bigr),m_S m_I\rangle[/tex].

How can I understand this physically and mathematically? Shouldn't the addition be commutative and the process be blind to which labels I use?

Why is this important? Because in a computer program, when you add angular momenta, you don't look for their order, but only to their value! I wrote a Mathematica script to do this addition for me, and I got the second Hamiltonian which is different than the Hamiltonian in the book, which is the first one.

Physics news on Phys.org
TheDestroyer said:
$$
\begin{align}
\lvert 0,0\rangle &= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\biggl(\lvert\bigl( \tfrac{1}{2}\tfrac{1}{2}\bigr) \tfrac{1}{2},- \tfrac{1}{2} \rangle - \lvert\bigl( \tfrac{1}{2} \tfrac{1}{2}\bigr),- \tfrac{1}{2} \tfrac{1}{2}\rangle\biggr) , \tag{4.21d}
\end{align}
$$
In the above equation, there is an arbitrary choice. It would have been equally valid to take
$$
\begin{align}
\lvert 0,0\rangle &= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\biggl(-\lvert \bigl( \tfrac{1}{2}\tfrac{1}{2}\bigr) \tfrac{1}{2},- \tfrac{1}{2} \rangle + \lvert\bigl( \tfrac{1}{2} \tfrac{1}{2}\bigr),- \tfrac{1}{2} \tfrac{1}{2}\rangle\biggr) , \tag{4.21d}
\end{align}
$$
which is the same, up to that arbitrary phase factor. This is in essence what you implicitely do when you change the notation from
##\lvert\bigl(I S\bigr),m_I m_S\rangle## to ##\lvert\bigl(S I\bigr),m_S m_I\rangle##.

Therefore, the difference between the two representations of ##H## are not due to the choice of the order of the addition of the vectors, but to that arbitrary choice of phase. You get the correct result only if the Hamiltonian is consistent with that choice.

Thank you for your reply. I still have a little problem understanding how those two cases are equivalent physically.

You're telling me that both cases are equivalent up to a phase factor, but I see there's different physics there, because one gets different energy splitting/displacement.

Could you please explain where that phase factor has to go (in a form of [itex]e^{i\phi}[/itex]) and how the energy levels are always the same independent of that phase?

Last edited:
TheDestroyer said:
You're telling me that both cases are equivalent up to a phase factor, but I see there's different physics there, because one gets different energy splitting/displacement.
No, you get the same result. The fact that terms that are different in both representations are off diagonal is very important here.

TheDestroyer said:
Could you please explain where that phase factor has to go (in a form of [itex]e^{i\phi}[/itex]) and how the energy levels are always the same independent of that phase?
(Note: use itex instead of tex to get inlined equations).

$$
\begin{align}
\lvert 0,0\rangle &= \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\biggl(- \lvert \bigl( \tfrac{1}{2}\tfrac{1}{2}\bigr) \tfrac{1}{2},- \tfrac{1}{2} \rangle + \lvert\bigl( \tfrac{1}{2} \tfrac{1}{2}\bigr),- \tfrac{1}{2} \tfrac{1}{2}\rangle\biggr) \\
&= \frac{e^{i \phi}}{\sqrt{2}}\biggl(\lvert \bigl( \tfrac{1}{2}\tfrac{1}{2}\bigr) \tfrac{1}{2},- \tfrac{1}{2} \rangle - \lvert\bigl( \tfrac{1}{2} \tfrac{1}{2}\bigr),- \tfrac{1}{2} \tfrac{1}{2}\rangle\biggr)
\end{align}
$$
with ##\phi = \pi##.

To see that you get the same energy in both cases, you need to diagonalize ##H##. In the case where
$$H = \begin{pmatrix}
\mu_B B & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & - \mu_B B & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 &\mu_B B \\
0 & 0 & \mu_B B & 0
\end{pmatrix}$$
you get two eigenstates with eigenvalue ##\mu_B B##, ##| 1, 1\rangle## and ##(| 1, 0\rangle + | 0, 0\rangle)/\sqrt{2}##, and two with eigenvalue ##-\mu_B B##, ##| 1, -1\rangle## and ##(| 1, 0\rangle - | 0, 0\rangle)/\sqrt{2}##.

For the second choice, with
$$H = \begin{pmatrix}
\mu_B B & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
0 & - \mu_B B & 0 & 0 \\
0 & 0 & 0 &-\mu_B B \\
0 & 0 & -\mu_B B & 0
\end{pmatrix}$$
you get two eigenstates with eigenvalue ##\mu_B B##, ##| 1, 1\rangle## and ##(| 1, 0\rangle - | 0, 0\rangle)/\sqrt{2}##, and two with eigenvalue ##-\mu_B B##, ##| 1, -1\rangle## and ##| 1, 1\rangle##, ##| 1, -1\rangle## and ##(| 1, 0\rangle + | 0, 0\rangle)/\sqrt{2}##.

Do you see? The states of the same energy in both cases differ only by the sign of ##| 0, 0\rangle##, which exactly corresponds to the choice of phase in the definition of ##| 0, 0\rangle##.

Ah, I see! So the Hamiltonian changes but the Eigenvalues don't change. Thank you so much.

Related to Adding Angular Momentum is commutative, right?

1. Is adding angular momentum commutative for all systems?

Yes, adding angular momentum is commutative for all systems regardless of their shape, size, or composition. This is because angular momentum is a fundamental property of rotational motion and follows the same mathematical rules for addition as other physical quantities.

2. Can angular momentum be added in any order?

Yes, angular momentum can be added in any order. This is a key characteristic of commutativity, where the order of the operands does not affect the result. Therefore, adding angular momentum in different orders will still result in the same total angular momentum.

3. Does the commutativity of angular momentum apply to both classical and quantum systems?

Yes, the commutativity of angular momentum applies to both classical and quantum systems. In classical mechanics, angular momentum is a vector quantity that follows the same commutative rules as other vector quantities. In quantum mechanics, angular momentum is represented by operators that also follow the commutative rule of addition.

4. Can you provide an example of adding angular momentum?

One example of adding angular momentum is the spinning of a top. When a top is spinning on its axis, it has angular momentum. If another top with a different spin direction is added to the system, the total angular momentum will be the sum of the two individual angular momenta, regardless of the order in which they were added.

5. Are there any exceptions to the commutativity of angular momentum?

There are no exceptions to the commutativity of angular momentum in classical systems. However, in quantum mechanics, there are certain cases where the order of adding angular momentum does matter. This is due to the nature of quantum mechanics and the uncertainty principle, which states that certain properties of a system cannot be measured simultaneously with arbitrary precision.