Adding and subtracting thermalchemcial equations help needed

• Thread starter chemistry4all
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subtracting
In summary: You are not dealing with standard enthalpies of formation, but rather reaction enthalpies. You can't just multiply a reaction enthalpy by an arbitrary number to get the reaction enthalpy of another reaction.In summary, the calculation of the heat of reaction for equation C) involves multiplying equation A) by a factor of 3 and flipping equation B) to cancel out the 2O3. Adding these two equations results in equation C) with a heat of reaction of -1699.4 kJ. The argument about getting 3x the enthalpy of H2O is not valid as these are reaction enthalpies, not standard enthalpies of formation.
chemistry4all

Homework Statement

From the enthalpies of reaction for equations A) and B), calculate the heat of reaction for equation C).

A) 2H2 (g) + O2 (g) ----> 2H2O2 (g) DH= -483.6 kJ
B) 3O2 (g) ----> 2O3 (g) DH= +284.6 kJ
c) 3 H2 (g) + O3 (g) -----> 3H2O (g) DH= ? kJ

Homework Equations

NONe

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt is as follows:

I multiplied equation A) by 3 first including the DH as well and got and flipped equation be so the 2O3 can cancel out.

A) 6H2 (g) + 3O2 (g) ----> 6H2O (g) DH= -1450.8 kJ
B) 2O3 (g) ------> 3O2 DH= -284.6 kJ

adding A) + B) I got

6H2 (g) + 2O3 (g) -------> 6H2O (g) DH= -1699.4 kJ

since i need to get to c) 3 H2 (g) + O3 (g) -----> 3H2O (g) all I did is divide everything by 2 including the DH = -1699.4 kJ

the DH came out to for equation C) as -849.7 kJ and this is not correct because the enthalpy for H2O (g) is -241.82 and since there are 3 H2O it should be -725.46 which I can't seem to get.

Can someone please help where I have made a mistake? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
chemistry4all said:

the DH came out to for equation C) as -849.7 kJ and this is not correct because the enthalpy for H2O (g) is -241.82 and since there are 3 H2O it should be -725.46 which I can't seem to get.

What does it mean that the enthalpy of H2O(g) is -241.82? Does not it refer to a reaction from the elementary constituents, H2 and O2?

ehild

the -241 is from the data table of standard formations of enthalpy but in this problem it does not want me look it up it wants me to calculate it using the two equations. The answer should be double the -241 but its not coming out that way. I think I did something wrong and I have tried everything to see what I did wrong. Can't seem to figure it out.

Anyone please help?

as ehild said, the 242 you've quoted is probably from standard constituents.
For H2O, this is probably H2 and 1/2 O2, not O3.
but C) asks for H2 + O3.

Last edited:
I know this is wrong because the first equation if you look at the standard formation of enthalpies chart is correct and so is the number for O2 ----> O3 is correct with the proper coeffients that are already in front of it. So mathematically the equation A and B should add up be able to get to equation C right?

As far as I know these are the rules:

1) All the reactants in the overall equation must appear on the left side.
2) All the products in the overall equation must appear on the right side.
3) All reaction intermediates (those not present in the overall equation) must appear on both sides equally so they are canceled out.
4) You sum up the individual equations (just like a standard addition problem) to make the overall equation.
5) A reaction written in reverse of the direction given in the problem must have the sign of its enthalpy changed.
6) A reaction multiplied by a coefficient in order to balance the overall equation must have its enthalpy multiplied by the same coefficient.
I did exactly the rules above unless I miss something.

Last edited:
chemistry4all said:

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt is as follows:

I multiplied equation A) by 3 first including the DH as well and got and flipped equation be so the 2O3 can cancel out.

A) 6H2 (g) + 3O2 (g) ----> 6H2O (g) DH= -1450.8 kJ
B) 2O3 (g) ------> 3O2 DH= -284.6 kJ

adding A) + B) I got

6H2 (g) + 2O3 (g) -------> 6H2O (g) DH= -1699.4 kJ
Check your addition in this last step. Otherwise, your procedure is correct.

Your argument about getting 3x the enthalpy of H2O is not valid, as others have pointed out.

Related to Adding and subtracting thermalchemcial equations help needed

1. How do I know which coefficients to use when balancing thermalchemical equations?

In order to balance thermalchemical equations, you need to ensure that the number of atoms of each element is the same on both sides of the equation. To do this, you can start by balancing the elements that appear in only one molecule or compound on each side. Then, you can balance the remaining elements by adjusting the coefficients until the number of atoms on each side is equal.

2. What is the purpose of adding or subtracting thermalchemical equations?

The purpose of adding or subtracting thermalchemical equations is to combine multiple equations into one overall equation that represents a series of chemical reactions. This can help simplify the representation of a complex reaction and make it easier to understand and analyze.

3. Can I change the order of the reactants or products when adding or subtracting thermalchemical equations?

No, the order of the reactants and products must remain the same when adding or subtracting thermalchemical equations. This is because the order of the molecules and compounds in a chemical equation represents the specific arrangement of atoms and their bonds, which must remain consistent when combining equations.

4. How do I handle coefficients that are fractions when adding or subtracting thermalchemical equations?

When adding or subtracting thermalchemical equations, it is important to ensure that all coefficients are whole numbers. If you encounter a fraction, you can multiply both sides of the equation by the denominator to eliminate it and convert the coefficient to a whole number. This will not change the overall equation, but will make it easier to balance.

5. Are there any specific rules for adding or subtracting thermalchemical equations?

Yes, there are a few rules to keep in mind when adding or subtracting thermalchemical equations. First, make sure to align the equations so that the reactants and products are in the same order. Second, ensure that the coefficients are balanced and represent the correct number of atoms for each element. Finally, if the same molecule or compound appears on both sides of the equation, you can cancel it out by subtracting the coefficients or combining them into one overall coefficient.