Adding a 3rd Source to a 2 Source Interference Pattern

In summary, the conversation discusses the double slit pattern and the insertion of a third slit between the two existing ones. The question is asked whether each point would be a maximum, minimum, or neither. The equation ΔD=dsinΘ is mentioned, as well as the conditions for constructive and destructive interference. It is determined that points X and Z would be neither a maximum or minimum, while point Y would be a maximum due to the path lengths from S1 and S3 differing by two wavelengths, causing constructive interference.
kosovo dave
Gold Member
http://imageshack.com/a/img834/5921/7iap.jpg

Homework Statement

Consider the double slit pattern shown above where the distance between slits is d. Each lettered point is labeled according to ΔD, the difference in distances from the slits to that point. ΔD is expressed in terms of wavelength, λ. Suppose that a third slit were inserted between the two slits such that the distance between adjacent slits becomes d/2. Would each point X,Y,Z be a max, min, or neither?

Homework Equations

ΔD=dsinΘ
ΔD=mλ constructive interference
ΔD=λ/n destructive interference, where n= # of slits
ΔD=mλ/n neither constructive nor destructive, where m=0,n,2n,3n,...

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I tried playing around with those equations but I ended up confusing myself. Then I realized that for a fringe to be a principal maximum, all of the light sources must be in phase there. At each point of constructive interference for two sources, S1 and S3 will still be in phase, but each will be out of phase with the new source S2 (halfway between S1 and S3). Similarly, S1 and S3 will interfere destructively at a point of destructive interference for two sources, but both will not be out of phase with S2. So I'm thinking none of the points will be max/min. Is my reasoning/answer correct?

Let me know if my amazing drawing/description are not clear enough and I will try to elaborate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Also, sorry for the image size. Is there a way to shrink it or would I have to reupload a smaller image?

I agree with your reasoning for points X & Z.

For point Y, the path lengths from S1 and S3 differ by __×λ. Therefore, each of those path lengths differs from the S2 path length by ___×λ.

If you fill in the blanks above, I think you will arrive at a different conclusion for point Y.

Hope that helps!

p.s. I have replaced the image in your original post with a link to it. Unfortunately, our forum software does not provide for resizing of images. You can upload a resized -- and cropped -- drawing if you wish. If you do, I could then edit your 1st post to include the reduced drawing. (A 640-pixels-or-less image width would definitely fit okay here.)

Likes 1 person
It took me awhile to see what you were saying, but Y should have constructive interference right? Since S1 and S3 are separated by 2 wavelengths, S2 is out of phase by one wavelength with each.

Yes, correct. :smile:

Related to Adding a 3rd Source to a 2 Source Interference Pattern

1. What is a 2 source interference pattern?

A 2 source interference pattern is a phenomenon that occurs when two coherent sources of light waves interfere with each other, creating regions of constructive and destructive interference. This results in a pattern of alternating bright and dark fringes.

2. How is a 3rd source added to a 2 source interference pattern?

To add a 3rd source to a 2 source interference pattern, the third source must also be a coherent source of light waves. It can be added by introducing a third source of light waves at a different angle or position relative to the first two sources.

3. What effect does adding a 3rd source have on the interference pattern?

Adding a 3rd source to a 2 source interference pattern can result in a more complex interference pattern. The addition of the third source can create more regions of constructive and destructive interference, resulting in a more intricate pattern.

4. Can adding a 3rd source change the spacing of the fringes in the interference pattern?

Yes, adding a 3rd source can change the spacing of the fringes in the interference pattern. The spacing of the fringes is dependent on the wavelength of the light waves and the angle at which they intersect. By adding a third source, the angle and/or wavelength may change, altering the spacing of the fringes.

5. Are there any applications of adding a 3rd source to a 2 source interference pattern?

Yes, there are many applications of adding a 3rd source to a 2 source interference pattern. One common application is in the field of interferometry, where the interference pattern is used to make precise measurements in various fields such as astronomy, engineering, and medicine. It can also be used in optical filters and devices such as holograms and diffraction gratings.