Add currents with same frequency but different phase?

In summary, when two current sources are in parallel and pointing in the same direction, the total current can be calculated by adding the individual currents. This can be done by converting the phasor representation to complex numbers and adding them together. Complex numbers are commonly used in electric systems to represent AC signals and allow for easy addition of signals with the same frequency. For signals with different frequencies, a more complicated method may be needed, such as drawing a vector triangle.
yosimba2000
So assuming I1 = 1<10 and I2 = 2<20

And assume these current sources are in parallel, pointing in same direction.

Can I say total current is I1 + I2 = 1<10 + 2<20 ?

I would convert the phasor to complex number to combine them, but will this work?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
yosimba2000 said:
Can I say total current is I1 + I2 = 1<10 + 2<20 ?

I would convert the phasor to complex number to combine them, but will this work?
Of course it will work.
That's why use of complex numbers is widespread in electric systems.

As Hesch mentioned, that is why complex numbers are used to represent AC signals. When the frequency is the same for two signals you can write the signals as complex numbers, which contain the amplitude and phase information, and then add them together like you would any two complex numbers. the resultant complex number contains the resultant amplitude and phase information.

When the frequencies are different then you have a more complicated problem. :)

Hesch said:
Of course it will work.
. . . or you can draw the vector triangle and get the same answer.

Related to Add currents with same frequency but different phase?

1. What is meant by "add currents with same frequency but different phase?"

When referring to adding currents, it means combining two or more electrical currents together. The phrase "same frequency but different phase" refers to the fact that the currents have the same repeating pattern or frequency, but they are shifted or offset from each other in time.

2. Why would currents with the same frequency but different phase need to be added?

In some cases, it may be necessary to combine multiple currents with the same frequency but different phases in order to achieve a desired result. For example, in audio engineering, combining signals with different phase shifts can create a stereo effect.

3. How do you add currents with same frequency but different phase?

The process of adding currents with the same frequency but different phase involves using the principles of vector addition. This means that the amplitudes and phases of each current must be taken into account in order to determine the resulting combined current.

4. What happens when you add currents with same frequency but different phase?

The result of adding currents with the same frequency but different phase depends on the specific phases and amplitudes of the individual currents. In some cases, the resulting combined current may have a higher amplitude than the individual currents, while in other cases, the resulting current may be lower than the individual currents.

5. Are there any real-world applications for adding currents with same frequency but different phase?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for adding currents with the same frequency but different phase. Some examples include audio engineering, signal processing, and antenna design. In these fields, adding currents with different phases can be used to achieve specific desired effects or improve performance.