Intergration: Algebra, Writing Equations of Lines

In summary, the conversation is about finding equations in slope-intercept form that satisfy certain conditions. The first problem is to find an equation that is perpendicular to the y-axis and passes through the point (-6,4). The second problem is to find an equation that is parallel to the y-axis and passes through the point (-7,3). The speaker suggests using the fact that one possibility for y=mx+b is that m=0 for the first problem, and considering x as the dependent variable for the second problem.
Redfrog2
I have two problems that deal with writing an equation in slope-intercept form of a line that satifises certain conditions. Two of such problems my teacher has given me, I have no idea where to start in how to put the conditions in an equation. Can anyone help me in finding out on how to do this?

1. Perpendicular to the y-axis, passes through (-6, 4)

2. Parallel to the y-axis, passes through (-7,3)

Physics news on Phys.org
Number 1 is easy if you remember that one possibility for y=mx+b is that m=0.

Number 2 is tough if you have to express the equation with a naked y on the left. On the other hand, if you are allowed to consider x as the dependent variable, then number 2 becomes just as easy as number 1.

To write an equation in slope-intercept form, we need to use the formula y = mx + b, where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept. In these problems, we are given a point that the line passes through, so we can use that to find the y-intercept.

1. Perpendicular to the y-axis means that the line is vertical, and therefore has an undefined slope. To find the y-intercept, we can plug in the given point (-6, 4) into the formula. This gives us 4 = m(-6) + b. Since the slope is undefined, we can set m = 0, which gives us 4 = 0 + b. Therefore, the y-intercept is b = 4. The equation of the line is y = 0x + 4, or simply y = 4.

2. Parallel to the y-axis means that the line has a slope of 0. Using the same formula, we can plug in the given point (-7, 3) and set the slope m = 0. This gives us 3 = 0(-7) + b. So, the y-intercept is b = 3. The equation of the line is y = 0x + 3, or simply y = 3.

In summary, to write an equation of a line in slope-intercept form, we need to find the slope and y-intercept. The conditions given in these problems help us determine these values, and then we can plug them into the formula to write the equation. I hope this helps in solving your problems!

What is integration?

Integration is a mathematical process of finding the area under a curve. It is the reverse process of differentiation, which involves finding the slope of a curve.

What is algebra?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the manipulation of symbols and the rules of operations to solve equations and find unknown values.

What are the steps for writing equations of lines?

The steps for writing equations of lines are: 1) Identify the given information, such as the slope and a point on the line, 2) Use the slope-intercept form (y=mx+b) or the point-slope form (y-y1=m(x-x1)) to write the equation, and 3) Simplify the equation, if necessary.

How do you use integration to find the area under a curve?

To find the area under a curve using integration, you first need to find the antiderivative of the function. This will give you the indefinite integral of the function. Then, you can use the definite integral to find the area between two specific points on the curve.

Why is writing equations of lines important?

Writing equations of lines is important because it allows us to represent real-world situations and relationships in a mathematical form. It also helps us to analyze and solve problems involving lines and their properties.