How Is Average Velocity Half of Final Velocity in Constant Acceleration?

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to show that the average velocity of a body undergoing constant acceleration, starting from rest, is half of its final velocity. One person suggests using the equation \vec{x}=\vec{x}_0+\frac{\vec{v}_0+\vec{v}}{2}t, while another suggests solving for t in \vec{v}=\vec{v}_0+\vec{a}t and substituting it into \vec{x}=\vec{x}_0+\vec{v}_0t+\frac{1}{2}\vec{a}t^2 to find the average velocity. Finally, someone else suggests using the equation ut= v0tf+ (1/2)
xxpsychoxx
I got this problem and it just stumped me. Can anyone give me the solution? Anyways, here's the question:
Show that the average velocity of a body undergoing constant acceleration, and starting from rest. is half of its final velocity.

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
i was trying to solve your problem with some made up #'s but i couldn't get the V average to equal Vf. It may be my methods...

Sounds like you're already given the solution. The trick is getting there, right?

Why don't you show us what you've tried so far?

cookiemonster

well if you take the initial V plus the final V and average it out your going to get the average V. (0+Vf)/2=1/2Vf I hope that helps

There's a nifty equation for constant acceleration which essentially gives you the answer.

[tex]\vec{x}=\vec{x}_0+\frac{\vec{v}_0+\vec{v}}{2}t[/tex]

You can also derive it from:
[tex]\vec{x}=\vec{x}_0+\vec{v}_0t+\frac{1}{2}\vec{a}t^2[/tex]
and
[tex]\vec{v}=\vec{v}_0+\vec{a}t[/tex]
by solving the bottom equation for [tex]t[/tex] and substituting into the top one.

Assuming constant acceleration, a, then the speed after time t is
vf= v0+ at (so that t= (vf-v0)/a ) and the distance moved is v0t+ (1/2)at2.

At constant speed, u, the distance moved would be
ut. The average speed must move you the same distance as the actual speed in time t: ut= v0tf+ (1/2)at. Solve for u, then replace t by vf-v0)/a.

1. What is the difference between average and final velocity?

The average velocity is the total displacement divided by the total time, while the final velocity is the velocity at a specific point in time. Average velocity takes into account the entire motion, while final velocity only considers the last moment.

2. Can the average velocity and final velocity be the same?

Yes, if the object is moving at a constant velocity throughout its entire motion, then the average velocity and final velocity will be the same.

3. How do you calculate average velocity?

The formula for average velocity is average velocity = total displacement / total time. This can also be represented as v = Δx / Δt, where v is the average velocity, Δx is the change in position, and Δt is the change in time.

4. Is average velocity always the same as the instantaneous velocity?

No, average velocity takes into account the entire motion, while instantaneous velocity only considers the velocity at a specific moment in time. They can only be the same if the object is moving at a constant velocity.

5. How does acceleration affect average and final velocity?

Acceleration can affect both the average and final velocity. If an object is accelerating, then the final velocity will be different from the average velocity. The average velocity will also change depending on the acceleration of the object.