Simple electrical engine theory

In summary, the conversation is about a project to build a battery and an electrical engine. The battery is completed with a simple construction using acid and lead. However, the person is struggling to find information on the theory behind the engine. They ask for tips or URLs to help understand electricity and magnetism. The person also mentions that the engine should have magnets, which they forgot to mention before. Another person provides a link to a website on generators.
klette
I'm working on a project that has the goal to build a battery and an electrical engine.
The battery, with theory, is all done ( a simple 12V acid/lead based on 3mol H2SO4 ).

The engine it self has also been built, a fairly simple construction; two matchboxes on a rod with wires around. ( poorly displayed in the attachment ).

But the problem is that I'm having a hard time finding the theory behind the engine. The info I find around it far too advanced accordingly to my current grade.

If anyone have tips about what to look for, some urls or similar, Please give me a hand :)

Attachments

• engine.bmp
    28.3 KB · Views: 462
Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
What do you know about electricity and magnetism? Also, shouldn't there be magnets in that picture?

the rod is "inside" a magnet ( forgot to mention that )

I know some electricity, but my magnetism knowlegde is poor, but I can lean ;)

nice.

Thanks

1. What is the basic principle behind simple electrical engines?

The basic principle behind simple electrical engines is electromagnetic induction. This means that when an electrical current passes through a wire, it creates a magnetic field. This magnetic field then interacts with other magnetic fields to produce motion.

2. How does a simple electrical engine work?

A simple electrical engine consists of a coil of wire, a magnet, and a power source. When an electrical current flows through the coil, it creates a magnetic field. This magnetic field then interacts with the magnetic field of the magnet, causing the coil to rotate. This rotation is what generates the mechanical energy used to power the engine.

3. What are the components of a simple electrical engine?

The main components of a simple electrical engine are the power source, the coil of wire, and the magnet. The power source can be a battery or an electrical outlet, and the coil and magnet are typically arranged in a circular or cylindrical shape to allow for rotation.

4. How efficient are simple electrical engines?

Simple electrical engines can be very efficient, with efficiency rates ranging from 70-90%. This means that the majority of the electrical energy put into the engine is converted into mechanical energy. However, the efficiency of an engine can be affected by factors such as friction and resistance.

5. What are the applications of simple electrical engines?

Simple electrical engines have a wide range of applications, including powering small devices such as fans and toys, as well as larger machines like electric cars and trains. They are also used in household appliances such as refrigerators and washing machines. Additionally, simple electrical engines are often used in industrial settings for tasks such as pumping water or driving conveyor belts.