Actor who played Tevye dead at 87

• Thread starter phinds
  • Start date
In summary, Topol is remembered as the iconic Tevye in the musical "Fiddler on the Roof" and is considered the best portrayal of the character by many. Despite having other acting roles, he will always be associated with Tevye. Topol also had a successful career in action films and entered active military duty in 1972. "Fiddler on the Roof" is based on Sholom Aleichem's stories and serves as a reminder to fight against pogroms and evil.
phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
As much as any actor in any role ever, Topol owned the role of Tevye. He made it look easy but all the actors who followed in the role agree that no one will ever top his version. He had other acting roles but he has been, and will always be, remembered as Tevye.

R.I.P.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-64898895

• Sad
  • Informative
Likes pinball1970, BillTre, Klystron and 2 others
Physics news on Phys.org
RIP

I often use "If I Were a Rich Man" as an example of the subjunctive.

Likes Vanadium 50 and berkeman
And I'd discuss the holy books with the learned men, several hours every day
And that would be the sweetest thing of all

phinds said:
As much as any actor in any role ever, Topol owned the role of Tevye. He made it look easy but all the actors who followed in the role agree that no one will ever top his version. He had other acting roles but he has been, and will always be, remembered as Tevye.

R.I.P.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-64898895
The BBC article states Topol entered active military duty in 1972. I entered service a few months earlier, effectively missing the fuss over the 1971 musical. My two older (of five!) sisters loved the songs though I thought "Fiddler" set in New York City. I did enjoy many Topol film performances in action films. Look forward to watching his "Galileo" performance.

Today I learned "Fiddler on the Roof" derives from Sholom Aleichem's stories. I read English versions of his stories as a child but as a kind of cautionary tale, that we must fight pogroms, never give in to evil.

Likes pinball1970, mcastillo356 and phinds

Related to Actor who played Tevye dead at 87

1. Who was the actor who played Tevye?

The actor who played Tevye was Theodore Bikel, an Austrian-American actor and singer.

2. How old was the actor when he passed away?

The actor, Theodore Bikel, was 87 years old when he passed away.

3. What is the significance of Tevye in the entertainment industry?

Tevye is a beloved character from the musical "Fiddler on the Roof", which has been performed on Broadway and in various productions around the world. The role of Tevye is known for its emotional depth and has been played by many talented actors, including Theodore Bikel.

4. What other roles did the actor play besides Tevye?

Theodore Bikel had a long and diverse acting career, with over 150 film and television credits. He is known for his roles in "The African Queen", "My Fair Lady", and "The Defiant Ones", among others.

5. How did the actor's death impact the entertainment industry?

The death of Theodore Bikel was a loss for the entertainment industry, as he was a highly respected and talented actor. His passing was mourned by fans and colleagues, and his legacy and contributions to the industry will continue to be remembered and celebrated.