Active Galaxies and the Unified Model

In summary, the conversation discusses an undergraduate student's essay on abnormal galaxies emitting electromagnetic radiation. The student asks for an explanation in layman's terms and sources for more information. They also mention their understanding of the topic so far and ask for tips on writing a scientific essay and citing other people's research. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to consult with the teacher and a link to an article about relativistic jets.
chickensagan
Dear all,

I'm a first year undergraduate student and I've been set an essay on the title of the post. I would be very grateful if someone could explain in layman's terms what these things are, and also if someone could tell me where I can find more information on them, preferably in an easy-to-read format.

Thanks in advance

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Well, what do you already know about them? Have you searched google/wikipedia for them yet?

Sorry I should have said.

I've done some googling and looked at a few websites and books. My understanding so far is that they are galaxies which are emitting abnormal amounts of electromagnetic radiation, which some astrophysicists think is caused by a black hole at the centre of said galaxies consuming the matter surrounding it and releasing the energy in the form of jets.

I don't understand how the jets form however.

Also, I've never written a real scientific essay before so if anyone has tips that'd be great.

For those that know how to write them: how does quoting other people's research work?
Do I need to put in the citation number e.g. blah blah blah [2], after every bit of research that I reference? Or do I just put it in once, even if I refer back to the same reference later on in the essay?

Apologies if what I wrote is a little confusing, I don't know how to word it properly.

Quoting other peoples work in your own paper works much the same as citing court cases in a legal brief, if that helps.

Related to Active Galaxies and the Unified Model

1. What are active galaxies?

Active galaxies are galaxies that emit a large amount of energy, particularly in the form of light and radio waves, from their center. This energy is thought to come from a supermassive black hole at the center of the galaxy.

2. What is the Unified Model of active galaxies?

The Unified Model is a theory that attempts to explain the different types of active galaxies by proposing that they all have the same basic structure, but appear different depending on the angle at which we view them from Earth.

3. How does the Unified Model explain the different types of active galaxies?

The Unified Model proposes that all active galaxies have a central supermassive black hole surrounded by an accretion disk and two jets of material that are perpendicular to the disk. The different types of active galaxies, such as quasars and Seyfert galaxies, are simply viewed at different angles, causing them to appear different to us.

4. What evidence supports the Unified Model?

There is strong evidence to support the Unified Model, including observations of active galaxies at different wavelengths and computer simulations that show how the structure of the galaxy changes depending on the viewing angle. The model also successfully explains the similarities and differences between different types of active galaxies.

5. How does the Unified Model impact our understanding of the universe?

The Unified Model not only helps to explain the different types of active galaxies, but also provides insight into the formation and evolution of galaxies and the role of black holes in the universe. It also helps to unify and simplify our understanding of the complex and diverse objects known as active galaxies.