Action in the continuum limit for an elastic medium.

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of taking the continuum limit in a lattice system and how it can be applied to different lattice structures. The Lagrangian is defined for a single particle and potential energy is written in terms of the lattice constant. Taking the thermodynamic limit is also mentioned as a way to keep the mass constant as the number of particles approaches infinity.
VoxCaelum

Homework Statement

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=57592&stc=1&d=1365348538
I'm stuck at the second part, not really sure what to here to be honest.
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=57590&stc=1&d=1365346819

Homework Equations

Usually the Lagrangian is the function inside the integral for the action.
\begin{equation}
L = T - U.
\end{equation}
Usually this becomes
\begin{equation}
L = \frac{p^{2}}{2m} - U.
\end{equation}

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured for a single particle the kinetic energy is:
\begin{equation}
T = \sum_{i=1}^{3} \frac{1}{2} m (\delta_{t} u_{i})^{2}.
\end{equation}
The potential energy should be some force constant times the displacement squared:
\begin{equation}
U = \sum_{i=1}^{3} k (a \delta_{i}u_{i})^{2}.
\end{equation}
So for N\end particles the Lagrangian would become:
\begin{equation}
L_{discrete} = \sum_{n=1}^{N} \sum_{i=1}^{3} \left[ \frac{1}{2} m (\delta_{t} u_{i})^{2} - \frac{k}{3} (a \delta_{i}u_{i})^{2}\right].
\end{equation}
Where the factor 1/3 comes from the fact that I am counting each bond three times.
Now this is where it gets a bit fuzzy for me; what exactly does it mean to take the continuum limit? I believe it has something to do with letting m and a approach zero in such a way that if N approaches infinity the mass stays constant, but I'm not exactly sure how to do that/what that means.

I believe that I require the fact that this is a cubic lattice to be able to write the potential energy down the way I did. But how would change the potential energy if, say for instance, the particles were on a face centered cubic lattice? Or any other lattice for that matter.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and progress on this problem. I can see that you have a good understanding of the Lagrangian and how to write it for a single particle. However, you are correct in saying that taking the continuum limit can be a bit tricky, especially when dealing with a lattice structure.

To better understand this concept, let's first define what we mean by the continuum limit. Essentially, it means taking the limit as the spacing between particles (or in this case, the lattice constant) goes to zero. This allows us to approximate the system as continuous instead of discrete, which can simplify the equations and make them more applicable to real-world situations.

In your case, you are correct in saying that the mass and lattice constant should approach zero in a way that keeps the mass constant as the number of particles approaches infinity. This is known as the thermodynamic limit, and it is commonly used in statistical mechanics to study systems with a large number of particles.

To apply this concept to your problem, you can start by redefining your potential energy in terms of the lattice constant a. This will allow you to take the limit as a goes to zero, while keeping the potential energy constant. For example, in a face-centered cubic lattice, you can write the potential energy as:

\begin{equation}
U = \sum_{i=1}^{3} k (a \delta_{i}u_{i})^{2} + \sum_{i=1}^{3} k (a \delta_{i}u_{i} + \frac{a}{2})^{2}.
\end{equation}

Notice that in this case, the potential energy includes contributions from both nearest neighbors and next nearest neighbors, which is a characteristic of the face-centered cubic lattice. You can similarly write the potential energy for other lattice structures, such as a body-centered cubic or hexagonal close-packed lattice.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of taking the continuum limit and how to apply it to different lattice structures. Keep up the good work!

Related to Action in the continuum limit for an elastic medium.

1. What is the continuum limit for an elastic medium?

The continuum limit for an elastic medium is a theoretical concept in which the size and spacing of the individual atoms or molecules within the medium are infinitely small. This allows for the behavior of the medium to be described using continuous mathematical equations.

2. How is the continuum limit related to elasticity?

The continuum limit is closely related to elasticity because it allows us to describe the behavior of an elastic medium using continuous equations, rather than discrete ones. This is important because the behavior of an elastic medium is dependent on the interactions between its constituent particles, and these interactions can be better understood using continuous mathematical models.

3. What are some examples of elastic media in the continuum limit?

Some examples of elastic media in the continuum limit include rubber, steel, and other solid materials. These materials are composed of atoms or molecules that are close enough together to be described as a continuous medium, rather than individual particles.

4. How does the continuum limit affect the properties of an elastic medium?

The continuum limit has a significant impact on the properties of an elastic medium. In the continuum limit, the medium becomes more homogeneous and isotropic, meaning that its properties are the same in all directions. It also allows for the use of differential equations to describe the behavior of the medium, making it easier to analyze and predict its properties.

5. What are some challenges in studying the continuum limit for an elastic medium?

One of the main challenges in studying the continuum limit for an elastic medium is that it is a theoretical concept and cannot be directly observed. This means that experimental validation is difficult and researchers must rely on mathematical models and simulations to understand its behavior. Additionally, the continuum limit assumes that the medium is infinitely small, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios.