ACT Graph: Understanding Data Points & Atmospheric Layers

In summary, the graph appears to be inaccurate, and the horizontal axis is not labeled. The questions on the practice test are vague and poorly presented.
JFS321
All, I hope this is in the right forum.

I'm a bit embarrassed that I cannot make sense of this graph.

My question is this: When looking at the graph, should you ONLY be reading data points from the two lines -- but also reading the lines independently? I am at a loss why the atmospheric layers are shown with wavy lines. For example, in the middle of the graph, the mesosphere layer is very thin, yet it expands widely near each axis. What am I missing?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    7.4 KB · Views: 624
Physics news on Phys.org
The horizontal axis is not labelled. Without that, I too have no idea what I'm looking at. Can you post a link to the source?

JFS321 said:
All, I hope this is in the right forum.

My question is this: When looking at the graph, should you ONLY be reading data points from the two lines -- but also reading the lines independently? I am at a loss why the atmospheric layers are shown with wavy lines. For example, in the middle of the graph, the mesosphere layer is very thin, yet it expands widely near each axis. What am I missing?
And by "ACT" do you mean the standardized exam ACT? Or does the acronym have a different meaning in this thread?

Does this help? https://magoosh.com/hs/act/act-study-tips/2016/act-science-graphs-and-tables/

I am high school science teacher with an ACT class. Yes, the standardized exam.

See page 46 of this file for more context...
http://www.lakeholcombe.k12.wi.us/uploads/1/0/4/0/10408064/act_practice_test_2.pdf

JFS321 said:
http://www.lakeholcombe.k12.wi.us/uploads/1/0/4/0/10408064/act_practice_test_2.pdf
ACT Practice Test Page 46.jpg

Attachments

• ACT Practice Test Page 46.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 327
  • ACT Practice Test Page 46.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 453
JFS321 said:
I am high school science teacher with an ACT class. Yes, the standardized exam.

After reading the description on page 46, I understand nothing. No wonder you're confused.

+1.0

Also, the graph appears to have errors. The bottom of the graph is labeled "Ground", but clearly 1ATM of pressure is at the top of the graph (about 15psi), and the warmer temperatures are at the top of the graph. "Ground" should be labeled at the top of the graph, or it should be inverted top-to-bottom to be more accurate.

But then we are still left with the question of what the "Temperature" and "Pressure" lines mean in relation to the labeled axes, and then we *still* have no clues as to what the horizontal axis should be labeled.

Last edited:
Likes davenn
Thanks for taking a look. I literally couldn't sleep last night wondering about this ridiculous graph!

Likes berkeman
JFS321 said:
Thanks for taking a look. I literally couldn't sleep last night wondering about this ridiculous graph!
Is there a place where you can report suspected errors in the Practice Test problems?

I don't know -- this free practice test has been widely circulated for some time. What really ticks me off is the fact that we give this kind of crap to the kids. My school is very low performing -- average science ACT score of 15. Imagine what the students do when I tell them that this graph is simply incorrect...suddenly any gains they may have had in the confidence of science is gone! Granted, some of that is just teenagers being ridiculous...but it becomes an issue when the students begin believing half of what they see on the ACT is made-up garbage...

I sympathize. If you ever do discover what they were trying to show, please post it here.

By the way, you should explain to the students that test designers are almost certainly not scientists (for example in meteorology). Also, the gold standard by which science should be judged is the peer reviewed paper. In theory, stupid errors are filtered out before those papers are published.

JFS321 said:
No need to be embarrassed; it is nonsense, as it stands. I couldn't be bothered to read the other questions on the paper but are they just as poorly presented and vague?

Likes berkeman

Related to ACT Graph: Understanding Data Points & Atmospheric Layers

1. What is an ACT graph?

An ACT graph is a type of graph used to display data points related to atmospheric layers. It stands for Atmosphere, Composition, and Temperature, and is used to visualize the changes in these factors as altitude increases.

2. How is an ACT graph constructed?

An ACT graph is typically constructed by plotting data points for temperature, altitude, and composition of gases in the atmosphere. The temperature is typically shown on the y-axis, while the altitude is shown on the x-axis. The composition of gases is represented by different colors or symbols on the graph.

3. What are the main layers of the atmosphere shown on an ACT graph?

The main layers of the atmosphere shown on an ACT graph are the troposphere, stratosphere, mesosphere, and thermosphere. These layers are distinguished by changes in temperature and composition of gases.

4. How can an ACT graph be used to understand atmospheric changes?

An ACT graph can help scientists understand changes in the atmosphere by analyzing the data points and trends shown on the graph. For example, it can show how temperature changes with altitude, or how the composition of gases differs in different layers of the atmosphere.

5. What are some limitations of using an ACT graph?

One limitation of using an ACT graph is that it only shows a snapshot of data points at a specific time and location. It does not account for variations in atmospheric conditions due to factors such as weather or location. Additionally, ACT graphs may not accurately represent the entire atmosphere, as they often only show data from the lower layers.