Acquiring a Small Dataset of a pulsar signal

In summary, the speaker is taking a class on signal processing and has a final project where they need to analyze real-world signal data and write a report. They are interested in analyzing a pulsar signal but are having trouble finding a manageable data set due to their slow download speed and lack of computational power. They are looking for advice on how to obtain a truncated data set or access to existing pulsar data. They found a reference for pulsar signal data and a website that offers access to radio astronomy data collected by the Green Bank Telescope. They also found a thread with information and a link to a dataset for Cepheid Variables that may be a suitable alternative.
koroshii
TL;DR Summary
Is there somewhere I can get a small dataset of a pulsar signal for a final project?
I am taking a class in signal processing. We have a final project in which we seek out "real-world" signal data and process and analyze it, and write a report on what we figured out. I thought it would be interesting to put my own interests into it and try to analyze a pulsar signal. My idea is that is pulsars are periodic and you should be able to find its pulsing signal clearly with a DFT after some cleanup. I tried seeking some data out, but no suprise, the data sets are very large, around 30gb. I have a slow download speed and probably don't have the computational power to process it in a reasonable time, so I would truncate most of it, making the whole download a waste. The assignment asks a minimum data set of 1000 points. I was wondering if anyone knew of a way I could get a directly truncated data set to perform an analysis on. Maybe some test data set to demonstrate the nature of pulsars, if possible

Thank you!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I found this reference in a search for pulsar signal data:

http://pulsarsearchcollaboratory.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/PSC_search_guide.pdf

It talks about method of searching the data for periodicity ...

The site itself may have references for data:

http://pulsarsearchcollaboratory.com/

It looks like they have access to data:

Want to help us discover new pulsars? The Pulsar Search Collaboratory is an out-of-school-time citizen science project for students aged 13 and up. Teachers can join too! After training, PSC students and teachers gain access to radio astronomy data collected by the Green Bank Telescope, the world’s fully steerable radio telescope. PSC members then analyze the data to search for new pulsars.

• Informative
Likes davenn
Likes jedishrfu

Related to Acquiring a Small Dataset of a pulsar signal

1. What is a pulsar signal?

A pulsar signal is a type of electromagnetic radiation emitted by a rapidly rotating and highly magnetized neutron star. It is characterized by a periodic and highly regular pattern of pulses, which can be detected by radio telescopes.

2. How do you acquire a small dataset of a pulsar signal?

Acquiring a small dataset of a pulsar signal involves using a radio telescope to detect and record the pulses emitted by a pulsar. The telescope data is then processed and analyzed to extract the pulsar signal, which is then saved as a dataset for further study.

3. What are the benefits of acquiring a small dataset of a pulsar signal?

Acquiring a small dataset of a pulsar signal can provide valuable insights into the properties and behavior of pulsars, which can help us better understand the nature of these unique astronomical objects. It can also contribute to ongoing research and advancements in the field of astrophysics.

4. What are the challenges of acquiring a small dataset of a pulsar signal?

One of the main challenges of acquiring a small dataset of a pulsar signal is the low signal-to-noise ratio, as pulsar signals are often very faint and can easily be masked by background noise. This requires careful data processing and analysis techniques to extract the pulsar signal from the noise.

5. How can a small dataset of a pulsar signal be used in scientific research?

A small dataset of a pulsar signal can be used in various scientific research studies, such as studying the properties and behavior of pulsars, testing theories of gravity and relativity, and searching for new pulsars. It can also be used for educational purposes, allowing students to learn about pulsars and radio astronomy through hands-on data analysis.