Acoustic test for the sloshing noise in a tank

In summary, the speaker is currently conducting an acoustic experiment to test the sloshing noise of fluid in a tank. Their software and microphone provide outputs of the noise, but not the loudness calculation. They require a figure for each test to compare results in their statistical software. They are looking for ways to calculate the average noise or a specific point in the noise using Riemann sums and Fourier transforms. They also mention the possibility of writing a script for this experiment.
georgeous678
I am currently doing an acoustic experiment, testing the sloshing noise made by the fluid content in a tank. My software and microphone gives me all the outputs from the sloshing noise but not the loudness calculation. I am needing a figure for every test to key into my statistical software and compare all my different results. How do I calculate the average noise? or even better a certain point in the noise from the time series graph?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
georgeous678 said:
I am currently doing an acoustic experiment, testing the sloshing noise made by the fluid content in a tank. My software and microphone gives me all the outputs from the sloshing noise but not the loudness calculation. I am needing a figure for every test to key into my statistical software and compare all my different results. How do I calculate the average noise? or even better a certain point in the noise from the time series graph?

Integrate the absolute values of the graph using Riemann sums between two time intervals and divide by the difference in time?

I don't know of any software that does things like that however. But you could write a little script or something I dunno.

This could be a pretty cool experiment. Measuring absolute SPL values requires (AFAIK) a calibrated microphone, I've used a Brüel & Kjær setup. That's probably overkill for your application- I would work with relative measurements rather than absolute.

Surely you can calculate the average signal from your data- but don't toss away any frequency information: do a Fourier transform on the signal to get a spectrum, I bet that will be interesting, too.

Related to Acoustic test for the sloshing noise in a tank

1. What is an acoustic test for sloshing noise in a tank?

An acoustic test for sloshing noise in a tank is a method used to measure and analyze the noise levels caused by the movement of liquid inside a tank. This is important in industries such as oil and gas, where tanks are used to store and transport large amounts of liquid.

2. Why is an acoustic test necessary for sloshing noise in a tank?

An acoustic test is necessary to ensure the safety and efficiency of the tank. Excessive noise can indicate that the liquid is moving too much, which can cause stability issues or damage to the tank. It can also help identify potential leaks or structural issues that may affect the tank's performance.

3. How is an acoustic test performed for sloshing noise in a tank?

The test is performed by placing microphones at strategic locations around the tank and recording the noise levels while the liquid is being agitated. The data is then analyzed to determine the noise frequency and intensity, which can be compared to industry standards to assess the tank's performance.

4. What are the benefits of conducting an acoustic test for sloshing noise in a tank?

Conducting an acoustic test can help identify potential issues with the tank before they become major problems. It can also help optimize the design of the tank to reduce noise levels and improve overall performance. Additionally, the test can provide valuable data for regulatory compliance and safety assessments.

5. Are there any limitations to the acoustic test for sloshing noise in a tank?

While an acoustic test is a useful tool, it does have some limitations. The test may not accurately represent real-life conditions, as it is performed in a controlled environment. Additionally, the test may not be able to detect issues that cannot be heard, such as structural damage or leaks. It is important to use the acoustic test in conjunction with other testing methods for a comprehensive assessment of the tank's performance.