Achieving Goals in Computer Science: Finding Motivation

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interests in the field of Computer Science, including remote rendering, virtual environments, computational neuroscience, formal language theory, parallel programming, kernel methods, compiler construction, scientific computing, graph algorithms, real-time and embedded systems, artificial intelligence, computer languages, type theory, formal verification, and organizing and representing information. The conversation also mentions the speaker's idealistic aim of increasing motivation to work hard in the field of Computer Science.
CylonMath
What is your purpose in field of Computer Science ? Do you have any idealistic aims ? As we know it is the one of the leading fields of world in next years, what kind of targets can be constructed to increase your motivation level to work hard ?

Technology news on Phys.org
There are three things in particular that have captivated my interests.

1. Remote rendering (OnLive-type systems)
2. Virtual environments
3. Computational neuroscience

I wanted to venture into particle systems and real-time natural lighting right off the bat, but I realize the constraints of processing power even today are too limited for my imagination. However there are plenty of interesting things to do for the time being prior to Exaflop GPUs.

There are a few areas that captivate me in cs
1) formal language theory
2)research in parallel programming structures (data parallelism and threading, distributed)
3)kernel methods (support vector machines and parallel models of such)
4) compiler construction

also of interest is parallel implementations of financial models for things like option pricing and pricing derivatives, etc, but this is hardly cs

These are my main interests and the main areas i have been involved in. My favorite is formal language theory because i am originally from a math background.

Some of my areas of interest...
(1) Scientific computing
(2) Graph algorithms
(3) Real-time and embedded systems
(4) Computational physics

1. artificial intelligence (statistics, information theory, neural networks, etc)
2. computer languages, type theory, formal verification of computer programs
3. organizing and representing information for human consumption (e.g. diagrams) (perhaps not really a CS topic)
4. Misc.

Related to Achieving Goals in Computer Science: Finding Motivation

1. What is the importance of setting goals in computer science?

Setting goals in computer science is crucial for success and progress. It helps you focus your efforts and energies towards a specific objective, which can motivate you to work harder and achieve more. By setting goals, you can also track your progress and make adjustments to your approach as needed.

2. How can I find motivation to achieve my goals in computer science?

Finding motivation can be challenging, especially when faced with difficult tasks or setbacks. One way to find motivation is by breaking down your goals into smaller, achievable tasks. This can help you feel a sense of accomplishment as you complete each task, and keep you motivated to continue working towards your larger goal.

3. How can I stay focused on my goals in computer science?

Staying focused is essential for achieving your goals in computer science. One way to do this is by setting specific and measurable goals. This allows you to track your progress and see how far you've come. Additionally, eliminating distractions and creating a dedicated workspace can help you stay focused and on track.

4. What are some common challenges when it comes to achieving goals in computer science?

Some common challenges when it comes to achieving goals in computer science include time management, lack of resources or support, and technical difficulties. It's important to be prepared for these challenges and have a plan in place to overcome them. Additionally, having a support system or mentor can help you navigate these challenges and stay motivated.

5. How can I celebrate and reward myself for achieving my goals in computer science?

Celebrating and rewarding yourself for achieving your goals is important for maintaining motivation and a sense of accomplishment. Some ways to celebrate include treating yourself to something you enjoy, sharing your success with others, or reflecting on your journey and the lessons you've learned. It's important to acknowledge and celebrate your achievements, no matter how big or small they may be.