Accuracy of HIV test - probability

In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem involving a HIV test and the probability of a person not having HIV while receiving a negative test result. The conversation then moves on to a vague question about the probability of a woman having HIV if the test result is positive. The group agrees that the sex reference should be excluded and the probability is suggested to be 0.9.
DannyCov
Hi everone,

Really stuck on this one, if anyone has any suggestions I would be more than greatful!

Problem:
A HIV test detects at 90% accuracy
It falsly detects people as positive without HIV at 2%
and it is estimated that 50% of the tested patients have HIV

I need to work out the probability that a person does not have HIV and the test is negative?

... but first I am still confused to how to separate all the conditions, my teacher suggested using contingency tables but the ones I draw up don't make sense to me

Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
You know Bayes theorum?

anyhow,
probability that person is HIV negative=1/2
probability of false positive=0.02
therefore (1-.02)=probability of accurate result
product of .5(.98) is what I think you want.

Ah great thanks that's the way I approached it. The next thing they ask is very vague...
they ask the probability a woman has hiv if the result is positive?
No where else in the question do they say women are any more likely than men so I assume the answer to be another condional probability
P(woman,tumor, PositiveTest)= 0.5 * 0.5 * 90

is this reasonable?

hmmm, that is vague. I would simply exclude the sex reference and suggest 0.9
as there is no refernce to any notion that false positives are more likely in women than men, so i would interpret the question as a person...

Related to Accuracy of HIV test - probability

1. What is the accuracy of HIV tests and how is it determined?

The accuracy of HIV tests is determined by calculating the sensitivity and specificity of the test. Sensitivity refers to the ability of the test to correctly identify individuals who have HIV, while specificity refers to the ability of the test to correctly identify individuals who do not have HIV. The accuracy of a test is usually expressed as a percentage, with higher percentages indicating a more accurate test.

2. Can HIV tests give false positive results?

Yes, HIV tests can give false positive results. This means that the test results may indicate that a person is HIV positive when they are actually negative. False positives can occur due to a variety of reasons, such as cross-reactivity with other medical conditions or errors in the testing process. However, modern HIV tests have a very low rate of false positives.

3. What is the window period for HIV testing?

The window period for HIV testing refers to the time between when a person is infected with HIV and when the virus can be detected by a test. The window period varies depending on the type of test used, but it can range from 2 weeks to 3 months. It is important to note that during the window period, a person may test negative even if they are infected with HIV.

4. Are there different types of HIV tests available?

Yes, there are several types of HIV tests available, including antibody tests, antigen/antibody tests, and nucleic acid tests (NAT). Antibody tests are the most commonly used and detect the presence of HIV antibodies in the blood. Antigen/antibody tests can detect both HIV antibodies and antigens, which are proteins produced by the virus. NAT tests are the most sensitive and can detect the actual genetic material of the virus.

5. How accurate are home HIV tests compared to tests done in a medical facility?

Home HIV tests are generally just as accurate as tests done in a medical facility. However, it is important to follow the instructions carefully and to confirm the results with a healthcare professional if the test is positive. Additionally, home tests may have a longer window period compared to tests done in a medical facility, so it is recommended to wait at least 3 months after a potential exposure before taking a home test.