Accleration time for electric supercharger

In summary, The conversation is about estimating the time for an electric supercharger to reach from 40-120k rpm. The parameters provided include max torque, bearing drag profile, diameter and length of the impeller, and the density of the solid steel shaft. The person asking for help is a mechanical engineering graduate and is seeking assistance with calculating the moment of inertia and determining the impact of wind drag on the motor. They also mention the importance of considering the torque vs speed curve of the motor.
arslanpersona
Hello everybody..

I am stuck with a question here. I have to estimate time for an electric supercharger to reach from 40-120k rpm. Impeller inertia is negligible.
Max torque=2 Nm, bearing drag profile=0.001 Nm/krpm, diameter=30mm, Lenght=100mm
Shaft is solid steel with density =7.85 kg/cm3

Can anybody please help me with this. Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
arslanpersona said:
Hello everybody..

I am stuck with a question here. I have to estimate time for an electric supercharger to reach from 40-120k rpm. Impeller inertia is negligible.
Max torque=2 Nm, bearing drag profile=0.001 Nm/krpm, diameter=30mm, Lenght=100mm
Shaft is solid steel with density =7.85 kg/cm3

Can anybody please help me with this. Thanks in advance

What is the context of the question? What is the application? What is your technical background? We can be of more help if we know more...

I am a mechanical engineering graduate. Dont know much about electric motors but will understand if somebody put me in right direction.

You can calculate its moment of inertia

but what about the wind drag? It's a fan or pump of some sort. You are better versed in those than i am.

And what do we know of motor? All motors have a torque vs speed curve. It will accelerate until torque = drag, and torque = f(speed).

.Hello there,

I can provide a response to your question about estimating the time for an electric supercharger to reach 40-120k rpm. First, we need to consider the factors that affect the acceleration time of the supercharger. These include the torque, bearing drag, and the physical characteristics of the supercharger.

Based on the information provided, the maximum torque of the supercharger is 2 Nm, which means that the supercharger has enough power to accelerate quickly. However, the bearing drag profile of 0.001 Nm/krpm could potentially slow down the acceleration process.

The diameter and length of the supercharger also play a role in its acceleration time. A larger diameter and length may result in a longer acceleration time due to the increased inertia.

To estimate the acceleration time, we can use the following equation:

t = (2π√(I/τ)) / (ω1 - ω0)

where t is the acceleration time, I is the moment of inertia (calculated based on the physical dimensions and density of the supercharger), τ is the torque, ω1 is the final angular velocity (120k rpm), and ω0 is the initial angular velocity (40 rpm).

Based on this equation, we can see that the acceleration time is directly proportional to the moment of inertia and inversely proportional to the torque. This means that a higher moment of inertia or a lower torque will result in a longer acceleration time.

Without knowing the exact moment of inertia of the supercharger, it is difficult to provide an accurate estimate. However, based on the given dimensions and density, we can assume that the moment of inertia is relatively low, and the acceleration time should be relatively short.

I hope this helps with your question. Keep in mind that there may be other factors that could affect the acceleration time, such as the power source and efficiency of the supercharger. Further research and experimentation may be necessary to obtain a more precise estimate. Good luck with your project!

Related to Accleration time for electric supercharger

1. How does an electric supercharger affect acceleration time?

An electric supercharger is powered by electricity, which means it can provide an immediate boost to the engine's power. This allows for quicker acceleration times compared to traditional superchargers, which are powered by the engine itself.

2. What is the average acceleration time improvement with an electric supercharger?

The exact improvement in acceleration time will vary depending on the specific electric supercharger and the vehicle it is installed on. However, on average, an electric supercharger can improve acceleration time by 0.5 to 1 second.

3. Are there any downsides to using an electric supercharger for acceleration?

One potential downside to using an electric supercharger for acceleration is the increased strain it can put on the vehicle's electrical system. This may lead to a higher risk of electrical issues or failures.

4. Can an electric supercharger be used on any type of vehicle?

In theory, an electric supercharger can be used on any type of vehicle. However, it is important to consider the compatibility of the supercharger with the vehicle's engine and electrical system. It is recommended to consult with a professional before installing an electric supercharger on your vehicle.

5. How much does an electric supercharger typically cost?

The cost of an electric supercharger can vary greatly depending on the brand, model, and compatibility with the vehicle. On average, an electric supercharger can cost anywhere from $500 to $2000. It is important to do thorough research and consider all factors before making a purchase.

Back