Accleration of a particle: calculate work and speed

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of work done on a 3.0 kg particle as it moves along an x-axis from x=0 to x=9.0 m. The acceleration of the particle is given in Figure 7-39, and the scale of the vertical axis is set at 8.0 m/s^2. The question asks for the work done when the particle reaches x=4.0 m, x=7.0 m, and x=9.0 m, as well as its speed and direction at those points. The correct approach is to calculate the area under the acceleration-distance graph and multiply it by the mass of the particle. This gives the work done on the particle. To calculate
rover_dude

Homework Statement

Figure 7-39 (attached) gives the acceleration of a 3.0 kg particle as an applied force moves it from rest along an x-axis from x = 0 to x = 9.0 m. The scale of the figure's vertical axis is set by as = 8.0 m/s2. How much work has the force done on the particle when the particle reaches (a)x = 4.0 m, (b)x = 7.0 m, and (c)x = 9.0 m? What is the particle's speed and direction (give positive answer if the particle moves along x-axis in positive direction and negative otherwise) of travel when it reaches (d)x = 4.0 m, (e)x = 7.0 m, and (f)x = 9.0 m?

Homework Equations

Equations I used: Area of a right triangle (1/2)(a)(b) where a and b are legs and NOT the hypotenuse. Area of a rectangle l*w (length times width) W=Kf-Ki (since Ki is 0) W=(1/2)mv^2 v=sqrt((2W)/m))

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, this is online homework and I tried 3 different times and got the same answers, but it says they are wrong I have no idea why. So here it goes.for (a) I took the area from 0-4 of what is under the lines, so I got (1/2)(1)(8)+(3*8) to get 28. for (b) Same thing: 2(1/2)(1)(8)+(3*8)-(1/2)(1)(8)-(1)8 to get 20 (c) 2(1/2)(1)(8)+(3*8)-2(1/2)(1)(8)-(2)8 to get 8 for (d) sqrt((2*28)/3) which equals 4.32 for (e) sqrt((2*20)/3) which equals 3.65 for (f) sqrt((2*8)/3) which equals 2.30

Note: for a b and c units are Joules and d e f in in m/s

I just do not understand why these are wrong. Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• pict_7_41.gif
    pict_7_41.gif
    3.1 KB · Views: 1,766
Physics news on Phys.org
Do not forget to multiply with mass when calculating force.
The length of the second segment is 3 m, you ignored it.

ehild

So... would I just multiply the whole thing by the length of the segment? so for (a) {(1/2)(1)(8)+(3*8)}*4, or what would I do?

So far, you are determining the pieces of area under the graph, because you hope this will be useful in answering the question. :smile:

But what are you going to do with this information (these areas) once you have them? The question doesn't specifically ask for area. How are you going to use the area under an acceleration-distance graph?

Last edited:
Is the area the force it takes to move the particle? If it is then since W=f*d I would multiply the area by the length of the segment? for (a) it woul be 28*4?

rover_dude said:
Is the area the force it takes to move the particle? If it is then since W=f*d I would multiply the area by the length of the segment? for (a) it woul be 28*4?

Nope. The area doesn't have units of force. It has units of acceleration*distance. If you multiply by mass as a previous poster suggested, you'll have units of mass*accel*distance = force*distance = work

O okay, so multiply the areas by 3? So again for (a) 28*3? that makes sense. And is the way I find speed correct?

rover_dude said:
O okay, so multiply the areas by 3? So again for (a) 28*3? that makes sense. And is the way I find speed correct?

Yeah, seems like you're applying the work-energy theorem correctly.

Thank you all, all I had to do was multiply the area I calculated by the mass, now that I think about it it was weird how I didn't use the mass at first to calculate work. and for the last three all I had to do was what I said in the original question sqrt((2W)/3)! Again thanks for the help!

Related to Accleration of a particle: calculate work and speed

1. What is acceleration and how is it calculated?

Acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time, or by using the formula a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

2. How do you calculate the work done on a particle?

The work done on a particle is equal to the force applied to the particle multiplied by the displacement of the particle in the direction of the force. This can be represented by the formula W = F * d * cos(theta), where W is work, F is force, d is displacement, and theta is the angle between the force and the displacement vectors.

3. What is the relationship between work and energy?

Work and energy are directly related, as work is the transfer of energy from one form to another. The work done on a particle will result in a change in its energy, either kinetic or potential.

4. How do you find the speed of a particle using acceleration and time?

To find the speed of a particle, you can use the formula v = vi + at, where v is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, a is acceleration, and t is time. You can also use the formula v^2 = vi^2 + 2ad, where d is displacement.

5. Can you have a negative acceleration and what does it mean?

Yes, negative acceleration means that the velocity of the particle is decreasing over time. This can be due to a decrease in speed or a change in direction. It is important to note that negative acceleration does not necessarily mean the particle is slowing down, as it could be speeding up in the opposite direction.