Accelerometer Noise PSD to Velocity Random Walk

In summary: This is only a rough, rule of thumb type of explanation. The precise one comes from the definition of velocity random walk spectral density, which is an integral of the acceleration noise psd over frequency.In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the velocity random walk due to noise for Honeywell's QA3000 accelerometers in order to meet a specification of 15 (micro-m/s)/rt(s). The PSD is given in units of g^2/Hz vs Hz and needs to be converted to the correct units. One method is to integrate under the PSD curve and take the square root, but it is also possible to use an IEEE standard equation to find the velocity random walk. However, this still may not meet the required spec
schaffmc
I have the intrinsic noise PSD spec for Honeywell's QA3000 accels, and I need to find the velocity random walk due to noise to show that I'm within my allowable. The PSD is given in units of g^2/Hz vs Hz. I'm given a velocity random walk due to noise spec of 15 (micro-m/s)/rt(s) that I must be below.

If I was unaware of the specification, the way I would go about finding the velocity random walk is to integrate under the PSD curve and take the square root to find the acceleration noise level in g's, and then integrate that value with respect to my time period (.25s). That would give me random walk in micro-m/s, which of course is not the same units as the spec I've been given. I imagine that the reason velocity random walk is in these particular units is to manage its time-dependence, but I'm not sure how or why.

Can anybody provide insight into 1. why the units are what they are, and 2. how I would go about getting from my noise PSD to velocity random walk?

Thanks!
Melissa

Engineering news on Phys.org
My question has changed due to more research. Here it is:

I have a specification that says this: "The velocity random walk due to the white noise portion of the acceleration self-generated output noise PSD shall be less than 15 (micro-m/s)/sqrt(s)." I have the PSD for my accelerometer, in units of g^2/Hz vs frequency between 1E-6 and 1e4Hz. There are three white noise portions. [I can send you the spec if you want.] We're filtering out the noise above 300Hz (which eliminates one of the white noise portions, and is also in the midst of one)...the third white noise portion is between 1e-3 and 1Hz, as well.

My question is, how do I go about finding whether or not this accelerometer meets the criteria? After some research over the last couple weeks, it seems that the method I should use is find the PSD at our filtering frequency since it is in the midst of a white noise portion, multiply by 9.81^2 to get into m/s^2 units, and take the square-root. This gives me a velocity RW of 12.58 (micro-m)/sqrt(s), which is right below my spec. Is this the correct method?

Another way to express that 15 microns/second/sqrt(second) requirement from post #1 is 15 microns/second2*sqrt(second). In terms of g (9.80665 m/s2), that is about 1.5 micro-g*sqrt(sec). You need an extremely sensitive and noise-free accelerometer here! This is verging on nano-g accelerometer territory.

Per Honeywell's specs (see http://www.inertialsensor.com/qa3000.shtml), the intrinsic noise from a QA 3000 is 7 micro-g*sqrt(sec) at low frequencies, 70 micro-g*sqrt(sec) at midlevel frequencies, and 1500 micro-g*sqrt(sec) at high frequencies. Not even close to the < 2 micro-g*sqrt(sec) your application needs, even if you can reliably filter out the high frequency components.

D H said:
Another way to express that 15 microns/second/sqrt(second) requirement from post #1 is 15 microns/second2*sqrt(second). In terms of g (9.80665 m/s2), that is about 1.5 micro-g*sqrt(sec). You need an extremely sensitive and noise-free accelerometer here! This is verging on nano-g accelerometer territory.

Per Honeywell's specs (see http://www.inertialsensor.com/qa3000.shtml), the intrinsic noise from a QA 3000 is 7 micro-g*sqrt(sec) at low frequencies, 70 micro-g*sqrt(sec) at midlevel frequencies, and 1500 micro-g*sqrt(sec) at high frequencies. Not even close to the < 2 micro-g*sqrt(sec) your application needs, even if you can reliably filter out the high frequency components.

That was the initial way I went about looking at this once the units made sense to me. But, I happen to know this spec was written such that the QA3000 passes, so that drove me to keep researching.

I came across an IEEE standard (IEEE 952-1997, annex C.1.1, "angle random walk" -- it was written for gyros). It associates rate noise PSD (S(f)) with random walk (N) by the equation: S(f) = N2. We're filtering out everything above 300Hz (and the PSD happens to have a zero-slope portion, ie white noise), so I found N like this: N = sqrt(S(f)) = sqrt(S(300Hz)) = 12.58 (micro-m/s)/sqrt(s).

It still doesn't entirely make sense why exactly it would work that way, but that's what I get from the IEEE standard... any ideas?

Your velocity spec appears to be a standard deviation type of spec. To see this note that its square is 225xE-12 (m/s)^2 /sec and that these units can be expressed as (m/s^2)^2 *s which again can be expressed as (m/s)^2 / Hz . These are exactly the units of the accelerometer psd level, cal it Sa. Hence, the velocity walk spec is simply (Sa)^0.5.

Related to Accelerometer Noise PSD to Velocity Random Walk

1. What is an accelerometer?

An accelerometer is a device that measures acceleration, which is the rate of change of velocity. It typically consists of a mass suspended by a spring, and as the device accelerates, the mass moves in response to the acceleration and the spring stretches or compresses. This movement is then measured and converted into an electrical signal.

2. What is noise PSD?

Noise PSD (Power Spectral Density) is a measure of the power of noise in a signal as a function of frequency. It is commonly used in signal processing to characterize the frequency content of noise in a system.

3. How does noise PSD affect accelerometer measurements?

Noise PSD can affect accelerometer measurements in several ways. First, it can introduce random fluctuations in the measured acceleration, making it difficult to accurately determine the true value. Second, it can also affect the accuracy and precision of the accelerometer's velocity and displacement measurements, as these are derived from the acceleration signal.

4. What is velocity random walk?

Velocity random walk is a type of noise that is typically present in accelerometers. It is a low-frequency noise that causes the velocity measurement to randomly drift over time, even when there is no actual movement or acceleration. This noise is often represented by a power spectral density curve with a slope of -1, indicating that the noise power increases as the frequency decreases.

5. How is accelerometer noise PSD converted to velocity random walk?

There is a mathematical relationship between noise PSD and velocity random walk, which can be derived from the power spectral density curve. This relationship allows for the conversion of noise PSD to velocity random walk, which is often expressed in units of meters per square root of hertz (m/√Hz). This conversion is important for understanding the impact of noise on accelerometer measurements and for comparing noise levels between different accelerometers.