Acceleration with force of gravity and friction

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a block placed against the vertical front of a cart and the coefficient of static friction between them. The group considers the forces acting on the block and applies Newton's 2nd law to determine the acceleration of the cart needed for the block to not fall.
djokoman95

Homework Statement

A block is placed against the vertical front of a cart. The coefficient of static frction between the block and the cart is [itex]\mu[/itex]s. What acceleration must the cart have in order that the block does not fall? How would an observer on the cart describe the behavior of the block?

Homework Equations

F=[itex]\mu[/itex]s*n
F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to start this problem. I know that the force pushing up on the block is equal to mg. I tried drawing acceleration as a horizontal vector, then setting a=mg, then trying to solve, but that didn't quite work out..

Physics news on Phys.org
djokoman95 said:
I know that the force pushing up on the block is equal to mg.
Good. What other forces act on the block?
I tried drawing acceleration as a horizontal vector, then setting a=mg, then trying to solve, but that didn't quite work out..
'mg' is a force, which can't be set equal to an acceleration.

Identify all the forces and apply Newton's 2nd law.

so after trying a few things, i got[itex]\mu[/itex]s /g for my answer. I think that should be right.

djokoman95 said:
so after trying a few things, i got[itex]\mu[/itex]s /g for my answer. I think that should be right.
Almost. :wink:

I would approach this problem by first understanding the forces at play. The block is being held against the vertical front of the cart by the force of static friction, which is equal to the coefficient of static friction (\mus) multiplied by the normal force (n) exerted by the cart on the block. The block also experiences the force of gravity (mg) pulling it down.

To prevent the block from falling, the cart must have an acceleration that is equal and opposite to the acceleration due to gravity (g). This means that the net force on the block must be zero, as stated by Newton's Second Law (F=ma).

Therefore, the equation for this problem would be:

F(net) = F(friction) + F(gravity) = 0

Substituting in the equations for friction and gravity, we get:

F(net) = \mus*n + mg = 0

Rearranging for the normal force, we get:

n = -mg/\mus

This means that the normal force must be equal to the weight of the block (mg) multiplied by the inverse of the coefficient of static friction (-1/\mus).

Now, an observer on the cart would see the block staying in place and not falling, as the block is not experiencing any acceleration. They would also notice that the block is being held in place by the force of static friction, which is equal to the normal force multiplied by the coefficient of static friction. So, they would describe the behavior of the block as being in a state of equilibrium, where the net force on the block is zero.

Related to Acceleration with force of gravity and friction

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How does force of gravity affect acceleration?

The force of gravity, also known as weight, accelerates objects towards the center of the Earth at a constant rate of 9.8 meters per second squared. This means that the force of gravity has a significant impact on an object's acceleration.

3. How does friction affect acceleration?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. It acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, causing a decrease in acceleration. The type and amount of friction present can greatly affect an object's acceleration.

4. Can objects experience both acceleration and friction at the same time?

Yes, objects can experience both acceleration and friction at the same time. For example, when a car accelerates, it experiences both the forward force of acceleration and the opposing force of friction from the road.

5. How can we calculate acceleration with force of gravity and friction?

To calculate acceleration with force of gravity and friction, we can use Newton's second law of motion: F = ma, where F is the net force acting on an object, m is the mass of the object, and a is the resulting acceleration. By taking into account the forces of gravity and friction, we can determine the acceleration of an object in a given scenario.