Acceleration Vector and Motion of Particle

In summary: If the dot product is zero, then the vectors are perpendicular to each other. So if the speed is constant, then the acceleration is perpendicular to the velocity. And if the acceleration is perpendicular to the velocity, then the speed is constant. This is the "if and only if" statement we are trying to prove.
RyanH42

Homework Statement

Show that the acceleration of a particle is always normal to its path of motion if and only if its speed is constant.

Homework Equations

1-##\vec{a}=d^2s/dt^2\vec{T}+κ(ds/dt)^2\vec{N}##
2- ##\vec{T}=(d\vec{R}/dt)/(\|d\vec{R}/dt\|)##
3-##\vec{v}=d\vec{R}/dt##
4-##\|\vec{v}\|=\|ds/dt\|##

The Attempt at a Solution

If speed is constant then ##d\vec{v}/dt=0##.I have to use first equation to make conclusion.Now,First equation obtained by differantiation of ##v=(ds/dt)\vec{T}##.Now If we differantiate it respect to t we get this
##\vec{a}=d^2s/dt^2\vec{T}+(ds/dt)(d\vec{T}/dt)##, since ##d\vec{T}/dt=0##, why this equation is true,cause of equation 2 and 3.The answer says this ; ##\vec{a}=0\vec{T}+κ(ds/dt)^2\vec{N}##. Why ##\vec{T}##-componenet is zero cause if ##\|\vec{v}\|=\|ds/dt\|## then ##\|(d\vec{v}/dt)\|=0## cause ##\|ds/dt\|## is constant .So I am saying both sides has to be zero.But here not Why ?I am missing something but I can't see it.Maybe I made a wrong math.

Quote from answer: From .##\vec{a}=0\vec{T}+κ(ds/dt)^2\vec{N}## ##\vec{a}## is a scalar multiple of ##\vec{N}## so that the acceleration is normal to the path in this case.
Conversely, if we now assume that the acceleration is normal to the path then ##\vec{T}##-componenet of acceleration must be ##0##. But the ##\vec{T}##-component is ##d^2s/dt^2##,since is ##d^2s/dt^2=0##,##ds/dt## is constant, and the assertion is proved.

Physics news on Phys.org
RyanH42 said:
If speed is constant then ##d\vec{v}/dt=0##.
This is not true. Even with a constant speed, if the curve is anything but a straight line then the direction of velocity (and thus ##\vec{v}##) will change.

RyanH42 said:

Homework Equations

1-##\vec{a}=d^2s/dt^2\vec{T}+κ(ds/dt)^2\vec{N}##
This equation pretty much says it all. If the speed is constant then what is ##d^2s/dt^2##?

Likes RyanH42
Nathanael said:
This equation pretty much says it all. If the speed is constant then what is ##d^2s/dt^2##?
I understand the idea of ##d^2s/dt^2=0##.I didnt understand why ##d\vec{T}/dt## is not zero ?

RyanH42 said:
I understand the idea of ##d^2s/dt^2=0##.I didnt understand why ##d\vec{T}/dt## is not zero ?
##d\vec{T}/dt## will be zero only if the path is straight.

##\vec{T}## is a unit vector so it can't change in size, but it can point in different directions. If the path curves then ##d\vec{T}/dt## will not be zero because ##\vec{T}## will be changing directions.

Likes RyanH42
RyanH42 said:
if ##\|\vec{v}\|=\|ds/dt\|## then ##\|(d\vec{v}/dt)\|=0## cause ##\|ds/dt\|## is constant
This is not true: ##\|(d\vec{v}/dt)\|=0##,

It should be this: ##\frac{d}{dt}(\|\vec{v}\|)=0##

Likes RyanH42
Ok,I understand.I assumed ##d^2R/dt^2## will be zero.Why cause I assumed ##dv/dt## will be zero.I didnt understand something.You said ##dv/dt## can't be zero.So ##v## is constant it means there's a no ##t## in there I mean the v can be something like this ##\vec{v}=1\vec{i}+23\vec{j}##..This is constant ##\vec{v}##.Can you give me an example of constant ##\vec{v}## which I did Then I will be understand better the idea.

RyanH42 said:
You said ##dv/dt## can't be zero.
##d\vec v/dt## can be zero, but not always.

RyanH42 said:
the v can be something like this ##\vec{v}=1\vec{i}+23\vec{j}##..This is constant ##\vec{v}##
That is an example where ##d\vec v/dt## is not zero. That means it must be a straight-line path.
But if the path is not straight, then ##d\vec v/dt## will not be zero (even if the speed is constant).

RyanH42 said:
Can you give me an example
You want an example of constant speed with non-zero acceleration? Anything traveling at a constant speed in a curved path is an example.
Take circular motion for example:

##\vec{v}=cos(t)\hat i+sin(t)\hat j##
Speed ##=\|\vec v\|=\sqrt{cos(t)^2+sin(t)^2}=1=## constant
##\vec a=\frac{d\vec v}{dt}=-sin(t)\hat i+cos(t)\hat j=## not constant

Since the speed is constant, the acceleration must be normal to the velocity. We can check this: ##\vec a \cdot \vec v = -sin(t)cos(t) + cos(t)sin(t)=0##

Likes RyanH42
I have just finished thee high school and I am practicing myself to get ready to university.Thats why I am getting trouble to understand the idea.I understand the idea thanks for help.

RyanH42 said:
I have just finished thee high school and I am practicing myself to get ready to university.Thats why I am getting trouble to understand the idea.I understand the idea thanks for help.
It is better to keep questioning than to pretend to understand. Good luck at university :oldsmile: you will do well.

Nathanael said:
It is better to keep questioning than to pretend to understand. Good luck at university :oldsmile: you will do well.

The easiest way is to consider ##\|\vec v\|^2=\vec v.\vec v##. What is the derivative of the second of those?

Likes Nathanael
##2(d\vec{v}/dt)\vec{v}=d\|\vec{v}\|^2/dt##

RyanH42 said:
##2(d\vec{v}/dt)\vec{v}=d\|\vec{v}\|^2/dt##
Right, or as I would write it, ##2\vec v.\dot{\vec v} = \frac d{dt}\|v\|^2##.
If you are told that the speed is constant, what does that equation tell you about the relationship between ##\vec v## and ##\dot {\vec v}##?
Is that connection "if and only if"?

The length of v is constant so derivative of it will be zero then the dot product of v and a will be zero.It means v and a are perpandicular each other

RyanH42 said:
The length of v is constant so derivative of it will be zero then the dot product of v and a will be zero.It means v and a are perpandicular each other
Right. And the converse?

I did not understand converse.Is there something to add to this info

RyanH42 said:
I did not understand converse
RyanH42 said:
Show that the acceleration of a particle is always normal to its path of motion if and only if its speed is constant.
In post #14, you used the equation in post #12 to show that if the speed is constant then velocity and acceleration are perpendicular. To complete the task, you need to show that if velocity and acceleration are perpendicular then the speed is constant. Can you do that using the same equation?

##\vec{v}.\vec{a}=0## then İf the magnitude of v is constant the magnitude of a will be 0 so I mean If and only If the magnitude of v will be constant to make a and v perpandicular.Or make dot product zero.Here the angle between a and v is what If you say 90 degrees (I know thts 90 cause they are perpandıcular) then there's no need constant v.Cause the angle can be 90 and cos90 is zero.Here I am confused constant v is not necessary to make a and c perpandicular.If the angle between them is 90 then they will also perpandicular.

Related to Acceleration Vector and Motion of Particle

1. What is acceleration vector?

Acceleration vector is a measurement of the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It includes both the magnitude (speed) and direction of the object's change in velocity.

2. How is acceleration vector calculated?

Acceleration vector can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This is represented by the formula: a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. What are the units for acceleration vector?

The units for acceleration vector are typically meters per second squared (m/s^2) in the metric system, and feet per second squared (ft/s^2) in the imperial system. However, other units such as miles per hour squared (mph/s^2) may also be used.

4. How does acceleration vector affect the motion of a particle?

Acceleration vector determines the change in velocity of a particle, which in turn affects its motion. If the acceleration vector is in the same direction as the particle's velocity, it will cause the particle to speed up. If the acceleration vector is in the opposite direction, it will cause the particle to slow down. If the acceleration vector is perpendicular to the particle's velocity, it will cause the particle to change direction.

5. Can a particle have a constant acceleration vector?

Yes, a particle can have a constant acceleration vector if its acceleration remains the same over time. This means that the particle's velocity will change by the same amount in the same direction for each unit of time, resulting in a straight line on a velocity-time graph.