Acceleration perpendicular to gravity?

In summary, the acceleration perpendicular to gravity can be found using the component of the force that is perpendicular to gravity. If you only know the length and angle of the right angle, you can find the acceleration.
smiddleton
Hey guys,
Is there an equation for finding the acceleration perpendicular to gravity?

Physics news on Phys.org
F=ma, right? F is a vector, so if you want the acceleration perpendicular to the force of gravity then use the component(s) of F that are perpendicular to gravity.

What if only know the length of one side and only angle of the right angle? Which is 90 degrees. I'm not sure how to find it don't know one of the other angles.

smiddleton said:
What if only know the length of one side and only angle of the right angle? Which is 90 degrees. I'm not sure how to find it don't know one of the other angles.
If all you know is the weight of the car and the acceleration of gravity, you cannot tell how hard the driver is pressing down on the accelerator.

So... what is it that you do know?

Last edited:
smiddleton said:
What if only know the length of one side

Which length are you talking about?

I know the accelration due to gravity. I know the weight of the car. I know how long it is accelerating for, time in seconds, and I know the circumference of the wheels. I do not know velocity or acceleration of the car. But I do have a minimum and a maximum value for velocity of the car. So the values I am trying to find are between the min and max velocity, if that helps.

smiddleton said:
I know the accelration due to gravity. I know the weight of the car. I know how long it is accelerating for, time in seconds, and I know the circumference of the wheels. I do not know velocity or acceleration of the car. But I do have a minimum and a maximum value for velocity of the car. So the values I am trying to find are between the min and max velocity, if that helps.
So you are talking about a car accelerating for sometime?

The information you provided is still not sufficient for finding the acceleration of it horizontally.Do you know the number of turns of the wheel per second?

smiddleton said:

This sounds, smells, and quacks like a HW/Coursework problem. Rather than give annoying bits and pieces of the problem, please redo this in the HW/Coursework forum and follow the rules and template of that forum.

Thread closed.

Zz.

Related to Acceleration perpendicular to gravity?

1. What is acceleration perpendicular to gravity?

Acceleration perpendicular to gravity, also known as centripetal acceleration, refers to the change in velocity of an object moving in a circular path. It is directed towards the center of the circle and is caused by the force of gravity.

2. How is acceleration perpendicular to gravity calculated?

The formula for calculating acceleration perpendicular to gravity is a = v^2/r, where "a" is the acceleration, "v" is the velocity, and "r" is the radius of the circular path. This formula is derived from Newton's second law of motion, F = ma, where "F" is the force, "m" is the mass, and "a" is the acceleration.

3. What is the relationship between acceleration perpendicular to gravity and speed?

The relationship between acceleration perpendicular to gravity and speed is direct. This means that as the speed of an object increases, the acceleration perpendicular to gravity also increases. This is because the centripetal force needed to keep an object moving in a circular path is directly proportional to its speed.

4. How does acceleration perpendicular to gravity affect the motion of an object?

Acceleration perpendicular to gravity causes an object to change its direction of motion, but not its speed. This means that the object will continue to move at a constant speed in a circular path, but its velocity will constantly change as it moves towards the center of the circle.

5. Can acceleration perpendicular to gravity be zero?

Yes, acceleration perpendicular to gravity can be zero. This occurs when an object is moving in a straight line or when it is at the top or bottom of a vertical circular path. In these cases, the centripetal force is balanced by the force of gravity, resulting in no change in velocity.